Thursday, July 27, 2006

Secret Training

Years ago when my running buddy Glenno was also a shift worker we used to get together at The Ship Inn on a Wednesday morning for a longish run. We called it The Shiftwork Shuffle. We started late (7.00am or so) because we could. As others (non shifties) heard about it they joined in, but because they worked normal hours they talked us into altering the start time to 6.30am. Then to 6.00am. Then eventually to 5.30am. This totally defeated the reason we did the run in the first place! Anyway, that one is no longer on the agenda.

The way my shifts go I only ever do two 12 hour night shifts in a row, but between them I feel pretty crappy. The thought of any sort of exercise doesn't appeal. This week and last week I've forced myself into going out for a cruisey, untimed, 'no distance in mind' run on those days, and found it really helps clear the head and makes me feel 100% better.

Yesterdays was particularly good, I threw quite a few hill reps in. I headed out toward UQ so the warm-up wasn't exactly flat. Coming back down Sir Fred Schonnell Dve I found a couple of good hilly sidestreets and ran hardish up and slow down. Then at the bottom of it I turned into Douglas St. My massage guy put me on to this one, he takes his tri squad there. It has ten decent hills running off it, five on each side. I did six different ones before calling it a day and running home. It was somewhere over 8k all up at a guess.

So the Shiftwork Shuffle has been re-invented. But I'm not telling anyone else about it this time.

17 Comments:

Blogger Chelle said...

Sounds like some serious secret training to me Tess.. I'm kinda glad I'm not a shiftie and missing it ;-)

9:11 AM  
Blogger Superflake said...

No your not telling too many with a blog.

9:23 AM  
Blogger Ellie80 said...

i don't envy the shift work tesso - you do an amazing job to keep up the training. and its best to keep it a secret ;)

9:26 AM  
Blogger Gronk said...

Now why would you need to do secret training ? ;)

10:21 AM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

Don't worry your secret is safe with me.

(Now is that your training secret or your Sherbet fantasy?)

10:31 AM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

Oohhh a Sherbet fantasy??? Please tell us more!

10:46 AM  
Blogger Bernie G said...

Secret training, you sly fox ;-). Now I know the secret behing your running success.

11:29 AM  
Blogger Toasty said...

I missed seeing you this morning but glad to hear you are out enjoying yourself.

12:24 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

I might have to join in the chase (at C2S) - but I will be chasing because I haven't been doing a ot of running lately!

4:52 PM  
Blogger Cirque said...

Whatever you do don't tell Owen! If he spots you on his way to uni your secret will be blown for sure.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

Okay, my lips are sealed, it's in the vault.

6:44 PM  
Blogger blues buffett said...

Maybe you can get more inspiration from drooling through this website:

http://www.darylbraithwaite.com.au/index1.htm

Happy Running... but The 'Hooks still rock!

7:39 PM  
Blogger Horrie said...

Need to make sure it stays secret Tesso. Otherwise it wouldn't be the Shiftwork Shuffle. Good to see you are having fun with your running.

8:16 PM  
Blogger owen said...

Ok, well now you're definately driving the Noosa train!

I was galavanting around St Lucia at about that time this morning too! I'll have to find this Douglas St you speak of, I need to do some hill work.

10:09 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Shhhh! Dont tell any one :-0

See you soon!

10:47 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Your secret is safe with us ;-)

6:57 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

I once worked nights and sometimes did the Shiftwork Snore. I was always thinking 'if we were meant to work nights, the sun would be up between 9pm and 5am'.

8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home