Sunday, July 23, 2006

BRRC 15k

200th blog post - and its a 'happy run' one :-)

*****

Tanky asked what gym I belong to. Its Fitness First at Toowong. I didn't really want to support them but its just so convenient (500 meters from home) and I got a pretty good membership deal, just $26 per fortnight. Though that limits me to just the Toowong gym. So I can go at lunchtime I'm thinking of extending it to include one of the city gyms. I guess that means lots more $$$. I'd be interested to hear what others pay for those sorts of memberships.

*****

With the Jetty to Jetty 10k on yesterday there was a much smaller turnout for the BRRC 15k, there seemed to be as many volunteers as runners.

We had a little cheersquad with Shane's wife Cass and CoolBaby Sam there on the sidelines :-)

Clairie and I had a plan for the race - run the first 5k loop at 4:45 pace and the next two at 4:40 pace. We always talk about doing a warmup and warmdown at these events and this time actually got around to doing a decent 2k for both.

We started the race a little fast (a 4:27) but then settled down. Just after the 2k mark some funny crap started going on in my right leg, not the ITB but the quad at first and then pain shooting down to my ankle. Must book in for a massage this week and see if that can sort it out. Anyway, it wasn't that bad but I told Clairie to run on and not worry about me. I found slowing down didn't help, so picked up the pace again. Soon enough the pain was manageable.

The km splits weren't as consistent as I'd hoped, but I still tried to stick to the plan. Meters before the turnaround just before the 11k mark My Evil Twin snuck past me. For about a km I was happy to let her go but then thought I'd have a crack at going a little faster and passing her. Once I got in front of her I wanted to stay there.

Clairie was only 20 meters or so away so I was using her as a pacer, just trying to keep the same distance behind her. But at 14k she suddenly pulled up! She said she was going to run in with Jo, who I had passed a minute or so earlier. Why would she do that, she was in 3rd place? Why? Because she is so thoughtful. She felt bad about Jo being behind us (Jo is a 3 hour marathoner on the comeback trail). And if she did that I would come third :-)

1st 5k - 23:30 (av 4:42s)
2nd 5k - 23:10 (av 4:38s)
3rd 5k - 22:50 (av 4:34s)
Total - 69:30

Very happy with both overall time and with being able to increase the pace each loop, which was what Clairie and I basically set out to do. With not going totally flat out and doing lots of stretching at the gym later the legs feel pretty good today. Could be a different story at 7pm after sitting at the desk for 12 hours.

18 Comments:

Blogger speedygeoff said...

Congratulations on number 200 Tesso! And let's hope you keep feeling pretty good, if not better..

10:03 AM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

Must remember to never start betting on the BRRC races. Would need to have a steward's panel.

The fees for my Gym at work are $5 a month.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Shane said...

I was a member of Healthworks gym at Everton hills last year, you could use their other gyms for $1 per visit. I didn't understand this but overall the membership cost close to $500 for the year, this included everything the gym offered.

Those splits look pretty good to me, a 40 sec improvement between the first and last 5k is excellent.

It was nice gesture of Clairie to help Jo out which allowed you to get the bronze. However just admit it you could have taken her ;)

Oh, I might just take you up on the singing offer aswell, how about at the GH this weekend :)

10:05 AM  
Blogger miners said...

Great work with the splits Tess - C2S won't know what's hit it this year

2:08 PM  
Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

Nice run Tesso. Excellent progressive pace.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Clairie said...

You would have taken me anyhow.... but your leg might have got a bit sore as you went past - I have a mean kick hee hee

Seriously, that was a good run we did and I am happy with our ability to get faster. I just wish our 'fast' was 'faster' *sigh*

2:36 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

200 Posts!!! .... this had me going back over the first ones and I couldn't find your best 15K but figured this was close.

4:02 PM  
Blogger Cirque said...

Happy 200 Tesso! I've enjoyed them all (except the nasty injured ones)very much.

5:04 PM  
Blogger Don Juan said...

Well done on the 200.

I was reading elsewhere that Sherbet has just hit the Queensland record stores. Happy days. The telegenic Wendall could've been a rock star, but he would've had to cut back on the drugs.

8:27 PM  
Blogger TD said...

Many happy returns on the 200th post, Tesso. You have have set such a high standard of blogging, you are the 'gold standard' for the rest of us to aspire to. That was also a pretty neat 15k run, as well. You and Clairie seemed to plan and work it so well together. Great team there.

9:26 PM  
Blogger owen said...

Nice work Tesso! Love being able to look back on a run and know you got stronger the longer it went!

9:28 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

It's great to know that the Tesso/Clairie combo is back on track. Makes me feel tha all is well with my world.

9:38 PM  
Blogger owen said...

PS. the 2:40 was a typo, that was for Noosa Tri - I'm still going for 1:35 in the half, but with a session like todays under your belt I think you can drive the train!

9:57 PM  
Blogger Wobbly man said...

200 up - well done Tesso! Have fun at C2S!

10:23 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Happy 200th Tesso - I only run to support my blogging habit!

Nice work on the BRRC 15k too - another podium finish - great stuff mate ;-)

12:42 PM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

Well done on the 200. Great times for the 5km laps there.

10:53 PM  
Blogger PortRunr said...

Congratulations on the 200 and the great run...look out at C2S, here comes Tesso!! :)

2:18 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

That's a big number of posts Tesso. Keep writing. I enjoy reading them - thanks Clairie for kicking your buddy out of the nest.

Also, well done on the third place! Can I borrow one of those 5k splits?

7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home