Monday, July 10, 2006

BRRC 14k - Seizing The Moment

It was a cold morning at West End yesterday for the BRRC 14k race. I can't believe Shane turned up for duty wearing short sleeves! Lucky CoolBaby Sam was all rugged up. Being just one week after the GC, but there wasn't a big crowd at all, lots of the main players were absent.

Just after the race started I pulled in beside Jo S, a 3 hour marathoner who's just getting back into it after not doing a lot of training lately. The new 7k loop was the basic 5k loop but extend out to the CityCat Terminal and around the corner a little. We were the leading ladies until about the 1 1/2 km mark when we were passed but somebody I didn't recognise. I hung in with Jo for a while until she took off to chase down and pass the front runner. I figured if I could keep the pace going (hovering between 4:35s and 4:40s) I might be able to hang on for 3rd.

By 6k I had passed both girls. I was now the first lady - yikes! At any moment I was expecting either or both of them to zip by. Neither had by the time I got to the turnaround (9k) and in fact Betty (known in some circles as my evil twin) had moved up and passed the mystery woman.

Next thing Jonesy appeared, out on his Sunday run, and he turned around and joined me. I turned of my iPod to say hello and gasped "I'm the first lady". He asked if I wanted to win. Dumb question :-) He said he'd run with me and I told him I wouldn't be able to talk. He said that was okay and to turn my music back on and hang in there.

We maintained a similar pace, and running along he pointed out six people we had to pass. I think I got five of them. I wasn't sure how far back the other girls were and with about 200m to go snuck a quick look over my shoulder and realised I had it in the bag. I crossed the line in 65:01 and received a lovely mug for my effort.

Although very happy to win (its been a while) I was hoping to be slightly faster. The average pace was actually one second slower than for the GC Half the week before, but it felt way harder. There's lots of work to do if I want to run a reasonable C2S time.

17 Comments:

Blogger runlady said...

woo hoo! you're a champ!

7:51 PM  
Blogger Cirque said...

Hey - not bad for someone who's had a teensy injury not long ago.

7:53 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Woo hoo Tess! Nice work :-) I am hungry for a good c2s time too!!!

7:56 PM  
Blogger Spud said...

Nice work Tesso, it's all coming together for you now. C2S, hard to get a good time there unless you have a preferred start. 65mins would be good?

7:59 PM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Way to go Tesso.

Man the one day I decide to hide amongst the bed covers...and Tesso is out there winning a major race!!

I so wish I had chosen to get out of bed that morning and come to support you. I was keen until the bottle of red the night before took effect *grins*

Seriously, well done Tesso. No time of holding you back at all now. Just keep the recovery happening smoothly.

8:32 PM  
Blogger TD said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:35 PM  
Blogger TD said...

What a run Tesso! For someone so social it is amazing to see the inward competitive instincts so intact.

8:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great race, Tess! Call out as you flash past me in the C2S!!

8:49 PM  
Blogger Superflake said...

Aren't we all. Keep up the work Tesso and it will come.

9:20 PM  
Blogger miners said...

yeah - what JD said ...

gee - more bling from the energiser bunny

11:53 PM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

Well done there. Good to hear you getting back your mojo.

12:54 AM  
Blogger Lulu said...

Yay! Go Tesso. Great to see you getting back in form. I'll be there to cheer you to a great time at C2S.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Chelle said...

Oh Tess, fantastic effort, I hope you're still smiling!

12:15 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

4:40's is moving .... nice run

1:35 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Wooohooo great result Tesso - like lady said - you are a champ!

6:20 PM  
Blogger Horrie said...

More bling for our champ Tesso. You really are the Energiser Bunny. Good to see you running strongly again.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

It certainly is a great feeling knowing you are in the lead in a race and know you are in control. It has only happened to me a few times, so bask in it when you can.

And the new 7k loop sounds better than the old one. I hope they got the K markers right this time.

9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home