Monday, June 26, 2006

BRRC 10k CHAMPS

NOTE: my 14 minutes from South Bank to my desk in the city on Friday did not include a shower and change. I did that in work time :-)


SATURDAY

The plan for Saturday morning had been for something a little longer but the legs were a bit tired from the previous two days so opted for an easy 11k. With so many regulars missing it was just Mark, Nick and I in our little pack. Nick turned back after 4k and Mark wanted to do 16k so at 5 1/2 I let him go on and headed home.


SUNDAY

Going by my recent form the absolute best I could hope for in the 10k champs at BRRC was 46 1/2 minutes. I figured if my 3k time was 1 minute off my best my 10 time should be at least 3 minutes off. Still, I set myself a more realistic goal of sub 48 mins, and if I got under 47 mins I was going to be very happy. The plan was to stick with Clairie for the first 5k and run 4:25 pace, but from the outset this seemed just a tad too fast for me so I let her go her merry way.

As expected after a couple of kms Karisma passed me and then Parmy. We are usually all around the same pace so I was pleased to be keeping them in my sights. It looked for a while a battle would be looming for the top three spots between those two and Clairie and it was fun to watch them try to catch up to her.

After 4 kms I worked out even if I slowed to 5 minute kms I'd still go under 48 mins. I shouldn't have thought that way as the next 2kms were my slowest - idiot! I had been having a bit of a cat and mouse game with Cathy G, and after this she got in front of me again. But at about 8k she started to feel the effects of her tough cross country race on Saturday afternoon and I was able to move away from her.

Rounding the Pauls Factory my favourite running song Plastic Bertrand's "Ca Plane Pour Moi" came on and that got me fired up. Then with about 300m my other favourite running song "Mundian To Bach" by Punjabi MC played. Great timing! I was able to fly home and cross the line in 45:34, only 2 minutes off my PB (June 2005) - woohoo!!!!

My splits ....
4:30
4:32
4:30
4:31
4:38
4:42
4:34
4:33
4:30
4:29

Big congrats to Clairie for holding on to win and score a handy 100 points, and to Karisma for making it an exciting finish. Being the champs there was lots of bling once again. And this time my gold meant more than usual as there were actually others in my in my category :-)

11 Comments:

Blogger Chelle said...

Well done Tess, thats a great run by someone who was so was feeling so glum about their running less than a week ago at the TT. You'll be getting new pb's before you know it at this rate :)

10:36 AM  
Blogger speedygeoff said...

That's good pace judgement, you are doing well. It won't be long until you are back in super form again. Now for fast improvement, instead of even pace, try for that half way pb! (easier said than done)

11:51 AM  
Blogger Clairie said...

It was a good race Tesso and you did amazingly well when I think about it.

First when I heard you did 45:34 I was disappointed as I had better hopes for you but when I calculated that to pace - bloody hell girlfriend that is just over 4:30 average.....There is nothing 'comeback' about that.

Man you are on fire and back to form. Another month of speedwork and you will be running your PB's all over the place.

I do believe that I will be struggling to keep up with you at the 14k Club Champs in August. It should be a good day and I am looking forward to a hard race with you that day (so i say now...hee hee)

See you in the morning at Pat's.

12:25 PM  
Blogger miners said...

were these "others in your age category" like the ones you were eying off in the Warwick XC?

1:34 PM  
Blogger TD said...

Tesso, that's damn impressive. And as Geoff said, your pacing was fantastic. How did you do that? I'd give anything to be able to run that well.

7:15 PM  
Blogger Spud said...

Getting there Tesso, soon enough you'll be the one with the bling.
:-) Nice run!

8:19 PM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

Great splits there Tesso. Well done.

8:42 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Wow. You aren't on the comeback Tesso - you ARE back. Great run - well done!

See you this weekend!

9:18 PM  
Blogger Horrie said...

Nice to hear about more bling. You've got to be over the moon with a 45:xx. Fantastic news Tesso. Well done Champ!

10:34 PM  
Blogger PortRunr said...

Fantastic run there Tesso and so well paced. Funny how when you considered the prospect of slowing down you did (not by much though). I find it interesting about keeping a good mental attitude throughout the run and keeping those unwanted thoughts at bay.

10:56 PM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

The wife and I were cheering for Terry on Survivor Panama. I know he was the alpha male and winning all the challenges but he was the underdog in the voting department.

I still think he should have given his hidden immunity away earlier.

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home