Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Not So Distant Drums

Hearing what all the southerners are putting up with I'm starting to feel guilty about the great running conditions we Brissos have been having of late ... well, almost ;-) This morning was no exception, even at 5:40am. It was a little cool but certainly not cold. After the 3k warm-up at Pat's almost everybody was ditching their long sleevers.

Today was 'sprints', and as Pat always says "15 or 20 minutes of them, whatever comes first". He seems to think the 20 does. We do this in a square around paths in The Gardens, and instead of breaking it down into four parts, fast/recovery/fast/recovery, this time it was recovery for the first half then fast for the second half. This suits me way better, I love the longer reps. Ok, I don't love them, but I do prefer them to shorter ones.

The ghetto blaster was just at the point where we had to start sprinting and then a little further on were a couple of guys on bongos or congos (not sure of the difference) that Pat organised just for us. They were fantastic! Too bad we couldn't stop and listen a little longer ;-)

I was hanging in with Andy S. It was great, there wasn't a lot of talk but we were silently encouraging eachother and pushing eachother to get the most out of the session. The recovery bit was more like a steady pace, and seemed to get faster with every lap, but that kinda made it all the more challenging.

Towards the end of the warmdown afterwards I was running with Clairie and Jodie. Jodie asked about my knee and I mentioned it was hurting a little now we had slowed down. I'm sure they did it purposely, suddenly we were moving more quickly and the pain disappeared. Thanks girls!

I reckon I've notched up another one where I've put in 100%. Feels goooood :-)

11 Comments:

Blogger Chelle said...

Yaay, you're (almost) back... and I only say almost because I know you feel you can go faster... me, I think you're fast enough as you are, I can barely see you from way back there. Look at 3TT!!

4:01 PM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Isn't it great when you put in 100% and feel great from the session.

Myself personally, it meant I felt okay scoffing down a whole packet of violet crumbles.....man I feel sick now. Why didn't someone stop me, obviously I am eating to get through the stress levels today.

After this mornings session I felt invincible but it only lasted a few hours. Might have to go again tomorrow...and the next day....and the next.

You looked strong out there and finished well today. Good on you for encouraging Andy. It is sooooo good to be back running with you again!

4:15 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Sounds like a good session and a great weekend too. Won't be long before you hit peak fitness again.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

I'm with chelle ... you're fast enough as you are.

5:42 PM  
Blogger Don Juan said...

Good news the body is holding up well; can't beat a good drum solo. Was it Wendall busking?

6:57 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

You will just have to run fast all the time ;-) Bongo drums??? That would make for an interesting session.

I have no idea what to expect for the half. I can feel a bit of form returning, but not sure how long it will last over the distance. I did 1 hr 50min last year, so would be happy with about that.... or quicker ;-)

7:46 PM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

If it's a little too warm up there, you can have some of this Melbourne weather.

Might start doing some speed work myself, rather than k's after k's, when my knee's right.

11:37 PM  
Blogger Lulu said...

Really pleased to see you are back to training. Wish I could say the same but I am on holiday I suppose;)

Hope the knee continues to improve.

3:53 AM  
Blogger Stu Mac said...

Well Tesso, are you running at 5:40am and wearing the equivalent of singlet and shorts......if so, us down in Vic are very jealous!

Sounds like a very good session.

Stu

3:58 PM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

It is a little cold in Melbourne. I am still running in short sleeves but I think I will have to go long sleeves soon.

9:30 PM  
Blogger owen said...

Tessoooooooo!
nice work
good to see your notching up good ones!

9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home