Tuesday, June 06, 2006

A Bad Omen

There was another huge crowd at Pat's today for some 1 minute reps. The knee was a little sore yesterday but good this morning. But what got me in this session was the quads had a bit of DOMS from Sunday.

There were lots of speed demons out there and I found myself amongst the 'back of the packers', and what pleasant company it was :-) At least every time we turned around we were leading the charge!

I guess I wasn't going totally flat out. I really need to work extra hard if I'm to get fit again for the GC Half and C2S but in the back of my mind I'm worried about getting injured again. I'm also having trouble pacing myself properly, knowing how hard to push depending on the time or distance. Hopefully all that will come back to me soon.

It came time for the last rep. In this one we don't stop at 1 minute but rather run all the way to the end of the strip. I was pushing it a little and there were only 2 or 3 girls were in front of me. Tori was beside me and a guy asked her how far we had to run and she said to the end ... and then its a hill sprint up beside All Hallows. Arrgghh!!! Last time I did this session that hill wasn't part of it. My legs suddendly felt dead, and we hadn't even started the climb.

Oh well, it was a hill but not a sprint. Not even close. But it hurt like hell anyway. I made it to the top and there were still people coming. The idea is to go back down and keep running up until the last one finishes. I headed back down just so I could shuffle on up again. All I could think was its not looking good for a sub 61:48 C2S.

My knee hurt a little after the second downhill, so I might have to do the 'run up, walk down' thing until I can totaly exorcise the ITB pain.

10 Comments:

Blogger Chelle said...

I was told to stay away from hills by my physio, might be worth asking the same question to yours... of course, first session back at Pats was Gold Coast hill... ho-hum.

Totally empathise with the 'scared to be injured again thing', took me a good month back at training to get over that one, I probably taped my knee a fortnight longer than I needed to just because it made me feel better about it.

12:13 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

stay away from hills ..... now i wish someone would say that to me

1:39 PM  
Blogger Tamyka Bell said...

The pacing will certainly come back, don't worry! As for how hard you have to train vs fear of injury: first, you know the warning signs, so you'll know when to stop; second, work really hard, but allow yourself plenty of recovery, and you will be back to form in no time, leaving the rest of us in your wake! (It's okay, I can take it.)

1:52 PM  
Blogger PortRunr said...

I'm sure you're gaining a good feel for whether you need to ease back to keep the knee in working order.

Re Macleay River...yep - out and back from/to the old gaol. I believe 5k drinks is right...probably at each turnaround + an extra one for the full. Think I need to do some investigation on the diet for the next few days!

2:59 PM  
Blogger speedygeoff said...

Hi and bye, we'll meet again. i couldn't make it down to real training this morning - so hard when we are in holiday mode in the evenings! and if you want some really cold runs you know where to come and who to tell.

(Speedygeoff number 666 - see photo)

6:37 PM  
Blogger Don Juan said...

A speed session two days after a half can be a tough session.

It'll all come back quickly.

9:50 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

It will come back quickly Tesso - just be careful on those hills. I was told to stay away from them too...

9:56 PM  
Blogger Superflake said...

Come on. No hurting that knee ok. Isn't sub 60 at C2S preferred for women? Aim for under that sounds better.

10:42 PM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

I've read heaps of blogs and noticed that Tuesday's seem to be rep days.......Maybe I should check out a Melbourne Group.

11:50 PM  
Blogger miners said...

I did it, I did it, I did it!!! Do I win a prize? It took me a couple of readings (and I'm a slightly slow country cousin after all), but I eventually picked up on the 6-6-6 references per paragraph in your post - clever girl :)

Of course, if that wasn't deliberate, then I'm a little spooked ... is your middle name Damian?

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home