Friday, June 02, 2006

Snap, Crackle, Pop

Seeing though yesterday wasn't a speed session as such I thought I'd back up for Pat's today.

We did an extra long warm-up (via Story Bridge to the middle of The Gardens) then got stuck into some 30 second efforts. I'd forgotten how awful this session was, not the running part, but the terrible jokes we have to endure during our recovery. As if we aren't suffering enough! This time it was about a grain of rice called Bevan who eventually became a Rice Bubble.

All up the session was just over 11km, according to Flasher's GPS, though like just about everyone else he got further than me in those reps. My knee was playing up, I felt a little pain after the warm-up but nothing while I was running. It really only came back when I stopped. Maybe I should stop stopping :-)


FYI

When you pour milk into your breakfast bowl, the cereal absorbs the milk. As milk flows into the crispy kernel, the liquid puts pressure on the air inside and pushes it around. The air shoves against each pocket’s walls until they shatter, forcing out a snap, or a crackle, or, as you, know, sometimes a pop. You can also see tiny air bubbles escaping to the surface.

The race is now on. Because once the rice is wet enough, all the air pockets have burst, the sounds stop, and you're left in peace and quiet to eat soggy cereal.

9 Comments:

Blogger 2P said...

Alternatively you can just drink the milk now it is all choclatey and chuck the cereal ;-)

Good to see you getting back into the speed.

4:00 PM  
Blogger Cirque said...

But then what happened to Bevan?

7:23 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

i guess it is as they say ... "one day it's pancakes, the next rice bubbles" ..... they don't really say that

9:09 PM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

"Stop stopping" an interesting concept.

11:27 PM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

What about the 3 little men Snap, Crackle and Pop??? Now you wrecked it for me.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Educational as well.... what can't you do ;-)

5:34 PM  
Blogger RunDave said...

When I read the title of this post, I was cringing because I thought it was going to be about the sounds your knee was making.

Not a fan of soggy cereal.

5:53 PM  
Blogger TD said...

I'm a muesli man myself. Don't go in for those ricey things. That looked like a good speed session at Pat's, Tesso. If I remember right there were a few strange jokes going around when I ran with Pat's group in December 2004. Look's like not much has changed there. It also seems like the knee is hanging in there. Maybe just a matter of time until it completely resolves itself. From what I can gather, your running doesn't seem to be making it worse.

7:30 PM  
Blogger Horrie said...

Interesting to hear you say that your knee hurts when you stop. I spoke to a friend on Saturday who spent quite a bit of time out with a knee injury. Whilst he was out, the knee didn't seem to be getting any better. Since he decided to run again, the knee is feeling a lot better.

6:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home