Monday, May 22, 2006

Close Your Eyes And Think Of England

** Boring knee report. Warwick report next post. **

6pm Thursday I went in for the MRI and sitting in the waiting room was surprised to see Aaron from Pat's wander in. He asked what I was there for and I said "a thingy on my knee". I asked him what he was there for and he said "I'm gonna do the thingy" :-)

I didn't have to go all the way into the chamber thank goodness, my head was sticking out. And I was given earphones to block the noise. Funny, I had no idea there would be any noise. Anyway, all I had to do was lie perfectly still for 20 minutes so I used the time to plan my races and training for the rest of the year and I wasn't even through October when the time was up.

Aaron was able to show me the results and his interpretation, a couple of spots of fluid (inflammation) but said the doc may be able to tell me more.

****

This morning I saw the doc and he basically told me the same thing - there was a little bit of fluid on the ITB and what looks like a tiny bit of patella tendonitis. He couldn't see any cartilage wear or damage. In fact he said I've got good looking knees :-)

The plan of attack is start on the Celebrax anti-inflams again as they really did ease the pain, taking one at night before the next morning's run. If after a couple of months its no better it might have to be a cortisone shot. But he was very reluctant to go down that path right now as it would mean a couple of weeks of doing nothing and then it would only mask the pain.

The bad news is he thinks I need to cut back the training, no more six or seven days a week of running. And he says to cut back the mileage :-( Though I did say maybe I should just do three long races a year (and by long he knows I mean marathon or ultra) and he said that was okay.

The good news is he said I can get right back into the speedwork so will probably be back at Pat's later in the week - woohoo!

16 Comments:

Blogger Gronk said...

Good news Tess. Nothing too serious. Now you can get back to normality.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Great news!!! Now you will just have to be a speed demon and not as much of an ultra queen :-) Although 3 a year is not too shabby. Woo Hoo for you! I am so glad there is nothing major wrong.

12:52 PM  
Blogger RunDave said...

That's good news Tesso. I hope you knees feel as good as they look!

1:00 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Good news Tesso. Now steady steady.

1:29 PM  
Blogger RunDave said...

"Close Your Eyes And Think Of England"

or "Little Britain"?!

2:03 PM  
Blogger Spud said...

Good news Tesso, remember what Uncle Dave was told by his Doc, now look at him!
Still reckon I'll see you at a few more ultras than you think. ;-)

2:19 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

You didn't need to go to a Dr to hear you have good looking knees Tess - I'd have told ya for free :-)

Glad to hear it went so well but get a wriggle on with the Warwick report wont you?

:-)

2:45 PM  
Blogger Lulu said...

That's great news Tesso. Gives me hope that my knees will be good looking again too! My physio told me the same about running everyday and suggested spin or something instead.

3:51 PM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

Woohoo indeed. You go girl.

5:45 PM  
Blogger PortRunr said...

Good to hear it's not too bad and you can get straight back into running :)
That's a smooth line from the Dr about your good looking knee ;)
I tried your anagram generator link you gave rundave and came up with "Fearful Jeep"...not quite sure what to make of that. lol

9:10 PM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

Sometimes I think it would be better if they did find something obviously wrong. Then at least you can fix it. But this "everything basically looks OK" doesn't really provide a convincing explanation for why you have been having all the pain.

I suppose it is a comfort to know that at least you haven't been damaging your knees.

Are you sure he said it was Ok to get straight back into speed training???

Good luck with the comeback.

9:27 PM  
Blogger Aki said...

Those words in your title always makes me laugh. Good news with the knee!

9:46 PM  
Blogger TD said...

I'm very happy for you Tesso. The comeback begins - but take it easy!

6:38 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Great news Tesso, hopefully you'll have it sorted in no time.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

That's great news.

Sometimes these inflammation things (I've had them with my feet a few times) just take some low mileage and patience for a while. And then take a big bite out of lesson no. 1: Avoid over-use injuries!! (Easier said than done)

1:01 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Good news Tesso! Perhaps you could adapt the 'Marathon on 3 days' plan in Runner's World to 'Ultra on 3 days'.

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home