Thursday, May 11, 2006

Mix a pancake, stir a pancake, pop it in the pan ....

Re my new goal race ... its this year and its not Toowoomba Marathon, or something at Glasshouse, or Sydney Marathon, or Brindabella, or Bribie, or the 50k at Kurrawa, or C2K. Though you guys sure have give me some good ideas :-)

Its something a little obsure really. I didn't even know it existed until seeing a thread on the CR message board recently.

****

When the alarm went at 5:10am I came terribly close to SMS'ing Clairie with some feeble excuse about a dodgey knee rather than getting out of bed. But I'm glad I didn't.

It wasn't my real return to Pat's this morning, I was just there for a short run/walk. And the pancake brekky :-) Wandering towards The Ship Inn was kind of daunting, I could see a bit of a crowd and hear lots of chitter chatter. I've heard there are quite a few newbies in the group and I was worried I wouldn't know anyone. How good was it to see Clairie's yellow and blue CR cap amongst the throng!

We set out at a pretty easy pace, and by the time we hit the Riverside Centre I could feel some pain coming on as the others ran on I stopped there for a bit of a stretch. After that I basically ran and walked for the next half hour or so before rejoining the group in The Gardens for the start of the 1k no watch run.

For the 1k I'd nominated 6m30s to allow for walking, but fell in with Scotty and got chatting away. I had no knee pain at all so didn't see any reason in slowing down. We crossed the line in 5m22s. The run over the bridge didn't hurt either.

After today I've pretty much figured out when to stop and walk before the knee plays up too much so I'm feeling more confident about Warwick now. And excited. I won't do a good time but I plan to have a good time :-)

Finally got the doc's office to do my MRI referral, however I can't get in until next Thursday evening. A bit annoying that I have to wait so long. But at least that gives me an entire week to overcome my fear of enclosed spaces, which I didn't think I had until the doc asked me if I did.

26 Comments:

Blogger PortRunr said...

Thanks for the fuel belt tip...should save me some tears at the 2 hour mark!!

If you can do an impersonation of a professional footy player you'll get straight in for your MRI! ;)

12:35 PM  
Blogger vat_man said...

MRIs are easy - just go to sleep.

Good to see you're back in action - albeit gently.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Having a good time is the best time to have!!! Glad to hear your back into it! Told you it would be obscure ;-)

1:28 PM  
Blogger Lulu said...

I've no idea on your goal race but I bet it's a good one! Good that you went and did Pat's session and I bet the pancakes tasted great.

2:17 PM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Let me guess....would your goal race involve running from pub to pub???? Is there a winery tour run?? How about a brewery run??

Great to see you Tesso. Sight for sore eyes and I can't wait until you are back and we can start bossing everyone around again at Pats. Well at lease be the courtesy girls in welcoming them all and making sure they are all included :) You are such the PR person and no-one is doing that in your absence...

2:32 PM  
Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

I know. The Ohtawara Marathon, Tochigi Prefecture, 23rd November. Nice flat(ish) course, temp of 10-14 degrees, views of snow capped mountains, relax later in traditional rambling ryokan located in the gorge of shiobara onsen -- outdoor hot springs and champagne and other libations long into the night. Sleep like the dead for four or five hours.

Works for me. :-)

2:32 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I like Clairie's ideas! I want to do those ones, when do we start?!

It's good hearing you out there at least giving the running a gentle go at the moment. Starting to sound positive :)

3:10 PM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

I think I have it.
The River Valley Naturist Resort's Annual Nude 8k Run in December in Echuca.

5:03 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

robert song worries me sometime .... very happy and encouraged with this report

5:06 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Hey Tesso - I'm thinking Blue Labyrinth and what a great decsion you have made :-)

Fantastic to see you running too mate ;-)

5:28 PM  
Blogger RunDave said...

Sounds like the recovery is still happening. Do you find it hard to hold yourself back? I'm really struggling to do just an easy run. I feel like breaking out into a tempo run or faster!

8:00 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Willy to Billy?

Glad you enjoyed the run, walk and pancakes Tesso. A great start to the morning!

8:19 PM  
Blogger Cirque said...

Tess, we'll definitely have a great time at W, no matter what.

Re: the MRI. Are you sure you have to go in head first? Depending on where you're having it done, for a lower limb injury you may be able to go feet first which would be a lot less restrictive.

Re: your goal. Ok - it's not a well know race and you didn't know it existed until you read about it in a CR thread. I'm guessing it's either to be accused of cheating in the Commonwealth Games or be stuck down a mine?

I'm running out of ideas here....

8:44 PM  
Blogger Cirque said...

Further to this goal thingy:

I'm guessing Fat Ass?

If so, either:
Southern Highlands Pub to pub 50k
The old great north road 43km or
Katoomba to Mittagong

Am I getting any warmer?

8:53 PM  
Blogger Superflake said...

How about Milton to Beenleigh. Start with a beer and finish with a rum!

9:54 PM  
Blogger Random Psychologist said...

Great to see things are starting the happen again :)

Perserverence is the key !

10:12 PM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

Heart of Gold certainly sounds worth making an effort to see from what I have read.
It is on just round the corner from work. Might make a nice long lunch one day soon.

10:53 PM  
Blogger Spud said...

It's gotta be fatass, what with all the chat on CR.
Did someone mention the Blue Labryinth...<-)

Good to see you're running again Tess.

8:30 AM  
Blogger R2B said...

How about the i have absolutely no idea race???

Thats awesome that your back out again!
We gonna leave the injured bench empty soon!!!

R2B

4:39 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

Tesso, thanks very much for your comments. Cass and I appreciate it so much. It is such a special day and it is great to be able to share this experience with you. Thanks again for your support, it means alot.

See you at Warwick

9:19 PM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

That sounds very positive Tesso. Welld one.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Don Juan said...

Welcome back to the track.

How about city to surf?

9:59 PM  
Blogger D said...

Robert's first idea is different....2P seems confident ...I'll guess what he's guessing...

As smart and diligent as you are, I bet we'll be reading about you running strong very soon.

3:42 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Good to hear things are on the improve, sorry I missed your visit last week :(

I'm thinking that it is probably a Fat Ass, but I'll go left field and predict the World Rogaining Championships in the Warrumbungles :)

9:10 AM  
Blogger TD said...

Just got back from an overseas trip and catching up with the news. Wonderful to read your post Tesso and its seems progress is being made - albeit slowly. I can just see you and Clairie together. Very nice.

4:06 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Katoomba to Mittagong is my tip :-)

Can't tell you how excited I am about W. I've been shaking up the music on the Ipod today in prep for the lil 10km run on Sunday morning. WOOHOOO :-)

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home