Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Don't pick it ... and stay off the sweets

Thanks to all for your comments, suggestions and good wishes.

Wob asked Would water running have any benefit for you?
Last time I water ran it seemed to aggravate my ITB. Until I can work out how to do it without too much knee bending I'm going to give it a miss.

Clairie said Hope you have a cortisone or NSAID's plan to assist you.
I forgot about that. Will do a one week on, one week off thing with the NSAIDs. And will continue using Voltaren Gel.

Blkbox asked Can you name the band who released the best cover version of Baker Street?
The Foo Fighters. Though I do admit I cheated, I found it on Limewire :-)

*****

Just back from seeing Adam the physio. My muscles were tight as anything again :-( He said it was from the 25k I did in Canberra a week and a half ago. I think that doing nothing (other than the stretching etc) has contributed, it certainly did last month when I did zip for a week. After around 25 years of running, aerobics or other sport my legs just aren't used to inactivity.

The good news is the exercises he gave me have really improved my hip and leg strength. He tested me on the step ups, he could see that I was way more stable than a few weeks ago, and I could feel it. I talked to him about not doing the exercises until the inflammation clears but he's of the opinion that they are doing me way more good than harm. Though he did say if ever I feel pain with any of them to stop.

A whole hour's treatment and I didn't even ask once when I could run again :-)

Meanwhile I've done a little research on the net on natural anti-inflammatories. My diet seems to almost match what is recommended already. Though I'm gonna add lots of pineapple (thanks Clairie!). I hadn't been taking my multi-vits etc, figuring I'd need them more when I was back into full training, but in hindsight I probably need them more now.

So, my 9 point plan is now an eleven point plan.

10. Treatment with NSAIDs

11. Daily doses of my super duper multi-vitamins, anti-oxidents and selenium.

Hmmmm, one more and it will sound like the Alcoholic Anonymous 12 Steps.

7 Comments:

Blogger 2P said...

And don't forget to get some arnica to rub in too - best option is Brauer Joint and Muscle Gel (aka Sports Ice Gel) - it is a natural anti-inflammatory and promotes healing - I used it to great effect on the twins and the Ugly Step Sister - not all chemists stock it though.

Dinkum it's great stuff ;-)

4:31 PM  
Blogger miners said...

... and don't forget the pineapple I presume (although I had never heard that one before - was it April 1 when Clairie mentioned it?)

Hope all's well with you soon Tess :(

5:04 PM  
Blogger R2B said...

Twelve steps for alcoholics sounds like a runners program Tesso!

Im glad your planning to beat this thing i know you will make it to the Pentath.

Cheers R2B

6:52 PM  
Blogger Wobbly man said...

Good luck with the injury management Tesso - I have been seriously thinking of just swimming for a couple of weeks - to avoid any hip/knee movement. Would that help your ITB. What's your bet I get a cold from it?

8:02 PM  
Blogger Clairie said...

...and the twelfth step would be NO ALCOHOL....mmm not likely to happen is it.

6:49 AM  
Blogger Shane said...

That is a good test of strength there Tesso not asking when you can run again.

It's crazy having time off, I think about going for a run all the time. The worst mistake I did was read this months runners world, I needed to go for a run after the first few pages :)

Enjoy your pineapple :-)

10:25 AM  
Blogger Lulu said...

I can second the Brauer stuff that 2P recommends, it's definitely good!

Looks like a good plan you have there and I'm sure you'll be at Warwick!

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home