Tuesday, April 04, 2006

An Ambitious Project

For one of my whole two runs the physio suggested I do this week I went along to the monthly 3k TT at Pats. There were 65 starters this morning, I think that may be a record.

After warming up in mostly sub 5 minute pace (running with Clairie) the ITB was hardly noticeable. I had no idea what time I'd be running for the TT, I thought it would be around 5 minute pace. But when we took off I pulled in beside Donna and ended up hanging in with her to cross the line in 13:23. It didn't feel too difficult, so maybe I haven't lost too much fitness.

The leg felt fine, still a niggle but no real pain. That was until the warmdown when I ran way slower, then it started hurting. I picked up the pace for the last 500 meters and the pain eased.

Its not 100% definite but its more than likely that I'll start on Sunday morning. My plan at the moment is to stop at least at each special drink station (every 5k) and have a bit of a stretch. And if the pain gets bad I'll pull up stumps altogether. I just hope that doesn't happen out in Death Valley!

Meanwhile I'll be following some very sound advice offered by some ex-ITB club members including Clairie and 2P - thank so much guys!

And I might even start to panic a little, especially considering my race number F26 :-)

20 Comments:

Blogger Toasty said...

Well you are one tough Fokker, so nothing would surprise me like you lining up on Sunday. I was a little concerned that your ambitious plan involved getting a piggy back ... phew.

11:09 PM  
Blogger D said...

Good news and a great plan.

11:28 PM  
Blogger Horrie said...

Great news Tess. See you on Saturday. Can't wait!

7:28 AM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Well at least you won't have to worry about icing your leg whilst in Canberra!!! Just standing around should do it.

I have every confidence in you so there is no need to panic. Just make this your 'safe race'. Have a plan and stick to it - that includes calling it quits if the leg starts thumping.

I am so very very excited now that you are going to be in the race. It just wouldn't be the same with you on the sidelines.

8:26 AM  
Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

Good luck Tesso. It's great to hear that you are are in with a show to give it a go!

Can you send me or post the link to look up race numbers - I have a friend in Melbourne who will be running and I'd like to give her some of your numbers so she can say hi from me!

8:46 AM  
Blogger Don Juan said...

Good luck for the weekend.
Hope to read the good news after the race.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Gronk said...

What a courageous gal you are ! All the best for the day !

9:47 AM  
Blogger Lulu said...

Good to see you might make it. I'll be there to give you an extra special cheer when I see you go flying by.

Hope it alls goes according to plan.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Great news Tesso, good luck. Just being out there should be good :)

10:00 AM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

As for pulling up stumps, I think you'd be a "Justin Langer". They would have to restrain you to stop you from going all the way.

See you down there.

10:09 AM  
Blogger RunDave said...

Good luck flying under the ITB radar.

11:00 AM  
Blogger CJ said...

See you on the weekend! :-)

2:23 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Woooohooo Tesso - great news - just like that Fokker you to have a Rolls Royce engine ;-)

4:34 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

That means you'll be flying on Sunday Tesso.

Good idea - run fast so it doesn't hurt!

Might see you somewhere along Death Valley.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Great news tess! that makes sense with the ITB... my physio said it is easier to run with good form when you run faster... it is the long slow stuff where you loose form and then the ITB plays up! Haha all you have to do is sprint the marathon ;-) Seriously I can't wait to catch up!!!!

6:39 PM  
Blogger R2B said...

Good luck Tesso and have fun!

8:04 PM  
Blogger Superflake said...

Hope you get through the race ok Tess. I will be missing running with you at Canberra. Ok, waving as we go past mostly. Take care of the injury and DNF if you risk a long term injury. There is no harm in that. Good luck.

9:02 PM  
Blogger strewth said...

So glad you will be out there Tesso. Best of luck and hope you can manage a pain-free fantastic marathon. See you at the start line.

9:11 PM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

Good luck on Sunday Tesso. Looking forward to reading your report.

10:29 PM  
Blogger Ellie80 said...

good luck!!! what a champion you are - with or without the marathon! i'll be cheering in spirit!

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home