Monday, March 20, 2006

Weekend Of (Water) Running

Friday arvo for a change of scenery I decided to hit the pool at UQ. Bad move. Not only was it annoying paying to park and paying $1.10 to hire a floatation belt (50c at Centenary Pool) but kids were messing around (dive bombing from the block etc) in the 'slow' lane I was relegated to. Not just that but the lane beside it there were other kids having lessons, and they don't excacly have the non spash smooth swimming style of Thorpey.

After an hour I'd had enough, and left my floatation belt at the end of the pool while I dried off and then zipped in to the ladies. When I came out the belt was gone, one of the brats was playing with it halfway up the pool. Then she just let go of it and swam off and another brat grabbed it. Grrrrrr. I called out to him that it was mine and so he just let go of it and started swimming away. I didn't want to jump back in so like a crabby old bag I yelled at him and told him to go retrieve it and bring it over to me.

And to top off a wonderful day I realised at 9pm I forgot to do my footy tipping for the weekend :-(

******

Had brekky with the gang Saturday morn after they had their last long run before Canberra :-( I decided I should do a long pool run and use my HRM and try to keep my heart rate close to what it would be for a long road run. Got home to discover the battery was flat - dang!

That afternoon I hit the gym for some upper body weights and sit-ups etc then went to UQ. I figured being Saturday arvo maybe it would be relatively kid free. Wandered in and there was the biggest blow up pool toy I've ever seen in my life - it took up half a lane. There was a birthday party going on. Arrgghhh!!!!

The party was confined to lane 8 so jumped into lane 1-2 (the lane rope was off). Still, there were lots of other kids around me. Only just managed to do an hour. There would have been a drowning if I'd stayed any longer and I wouldn't have been me.

Think somebody's missing their running?

******

Started off yesterday like just about every other runner, watching the Comm Games marathon. Chris had organised The Regatta to show it on the big screen and so a group of us got together and watched it over coffee.

Later on I checked out some indoor water running venues on the net. With the cyclone looming up north we're bound to cop some crappy weather. No excuses! I also rang around and managed to get a good deal on a floatation belt - did the old 10% off competitors price thing and picked one up at Amart for $27. Sadly I've got a feeling I'm gonna get my money's worth.

Got to Centenary Pool around 3.30pm. Yahoo - nobody under 5ft tall in sight :-) And they were selling the same floatation belt for $47! Did a solid 90 minutes, trying hard to get the heart rate up and keep it up. And hardly got splashed at all :-)

16 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Me too Tess! Just catching up with your blog...me very slack lately! Surprised & sorry about your injury; thought things like that didn't happen to you!! As for some kids in the pool....I know all about it. Little time left now, so be very careful (like me!) till after April 9.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Ewen said...

90 minutes of water running! That could come in handy to get over LBG if the lanes on the bridges are still blocked ;)

12:03 PM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Man that's a marathon in itself! To get all the gear and find a pool where you can actually SWIM!!!

You are one hell of a dedicated runner Tesso. Me- I would be laying on the couch saying 'woe is me' and drinking margaritas until I felt as exhausted as I do after a long run...ok so may not that many :)

I hope you keep water running...because it makes for very entertaining reading. I was crying laughing and that was AFTER I heard it all first hand last night hee hee
But rest assured I am laughing with you not at you.

So I guess you have a speed session to do tomorrow then? Will have to get the HR up to over 170 in the pool. Maybe you might find a use for those aggravating brats????


BTW I have a pool with a side access at my house - free for use 24x7. It is a lap pool but only 12m long (really 11 when you take away the step where you can't run/swim). But keep it in mind. I'll sit on a deck chair and yell at you if you want :)

12:42 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Hate water - hate it - miserable stuff.

Glad you found a bratless pool in the end though.

So what's the ITB report?

1:30 PM  
Blogger Ellie80 said...

Hi Tesso, sounds like the water running is worthwhile, if not "enjoyable" in the short term... I am getting concerned by all of the comments about this SWEAT business... sounds like I should be scared... :)

E

1:33 PM  
Blogger Lulu said...

Go Tesso; Try doing some sprinting in the water, that gets your heart rate up. Some of the sessions I do have a 5 min warm up and then intervals of 15 secs- 30 secs sprint 15-30 secs recovery.. repeat until exhausted. That should do it.

Hope you can return to the road very soon. You can always come down to Sydney and be seen to by Easy Tiger. I tell you that man is a miracle worker!

2:12 PM  
Blogger Aki said...

Find something more fun than water running, take a fifty cent piece, and throw it in the pool, much more fun trying to locate your money and I think it's still excercise.

This changing diet thing is really difficult. I'm dreaming of chocolate now, haven't even had a teaspoon of nutella yet today!

4:32 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

The marathon on the big screen would have been good for the soul!

Did you tip my mighty newcastle knights :-)

6:46 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Persistence pays off! Good luck with the water running - I know it can get very tedious and boring and it doesn't help when you're surrounded by littlies!

How is the ITB - is it improving?

8:19 PM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

Hey My Wife is under 5 foot tall. Hope she doesn't read your blog.

10:23 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

I would have gone with the title "Water Torture" for this post. Hang in there .

6:31 AM  
Blogger Wobbly man said...

An update on the ITB? Clairie's offer sounds great. A coach as well as free entry!

9:11 AM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

I have two little brats myself, 6 and 8 years old. I do love them but gee the can drive you nuts at times :-)

10:19 AM  
Blogger miners said...

so sorry to hear of the injury Tess. At least you're taking the best course of action, no matter how much the pool gods are trying to thwart your plans (did I ever mention how much I hate pool swimming?)

Hope you're back and ready for pre-race dinner entertainment, and aid-station duties at Brissy Marathon ;)

10:27 AM  
Blogger RunDave said...

"There would have been a drowning if I'd stayed any longer and I wouldn't have been me."

I can see it now. Parents running around everywhere: "Timmy, has anyone seen Timmy?" Tesso: "No, but there's something blocking the pool filter".

Still, it would serve as a warning to the other kids: don't mess with a frustrated runner.

4:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No handle for Mr WT yet.

wt

5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home