Monday, March 13, 2006

BRRC Half Marathon Champs

Sunday: 23k
Week Total: 84.5k
Month Total: 134.5k
Year Total: 890.5k


First up a quick word about my last post. Thanks for the nice comments about being close to my PB guys, but I was unclear. I ran 12:15 at Pat's in January, but my PB is 11:53 from Feb last year.

*****

Earlier in the week I figured I was in 98 minute shape for the BRRC Half Marathon Champs, but after racing on the track Saturday I put that time back to 100 minutes. At this event last year I ran my PB - 94:03. Oh to be that fit again!

Clairie, Lizzle and I ran a 2k warmup and the way my legs felt that 100 minutes in my head became 105. Tara had said earlier in the week she wanted to stick with me as sub 100 would ensure her a PB, so I told her at the start line she'd better not.

The race began with a 1.1km loop, which took us back to the start line, and from there it was four of the usual 5k loops. I was surprised to find myself not that far behind Clairie, Lizzle and Jen - these girls were all on for sub 95s. Then checking my splits I was running around 4:35s, and wondering how long I could maintain it.

I kept a pretty consistent pace and until 11k Tara was slightly in front but it was here I caught up to her and eventually passed her. I thought she'd come with me, and for her sake I was really hoping she would. Then again, for my sake I was hoping she wouldn't - being Champs there were precious points on the line ;-)

The approx 4:35s kept on coming and with each one I'd calculate my finish time if I were to slow to 5 minute pace, and thought I'd be happy with the outcome. With just 5k to go I spotted Lizzle about 100 meters ahead and a couple of kms later I caught her, a quick word revealed she was really struggling :-(

I still wasn't slowing, as much as I wanted to, and 1k from the end checked my watch and worked out what a 5 minute km would get me. But then Robert Song, who'd been trailing me the entire way (he was out on a training run!) flew past me. I figured if he can fly home I can at least not slow down too much and my final km turned out to be my fastest, if only by a fraction of a second. Thanks mate!

Crossed the line with 96:30 on my watch - woohoo!!!! Best of all 3rd member, though first member not called Claire ;-) And a category win - yay, more bling! A fair way off last year's time but still my second fastest half marathon ever. Very happy with that. Thinking about it I reckon racing on Saturday maybe robbed me of a minute, so sub 96 was on the cards. Doesn't matter! A minute after I finished Lizzle and Tara crossed the line together to dead heat - a very sporting gesture on both their parts not trying to outsprint eachother.

My splits (excluding the fractions) -
4:53 (1.1)
4:35
4:35
4:34
4:34
4:30
4:41
4:34
4:32
4:30
4:33
4:38
4:33
4:36
4:35
4:38
4:38
4:34
4:34
4:35
4:30

Clairie is on fire at the moment, its great to see that Canberra training paying off early. She had Eddie running scared! And what an awesome run by Shane too, he and Clairie posted massive PBs. Though just quietly I had predicted both. Just happy I'm not as accurate with predicting my own time :-)


Tara, Tesso, Lizzle, Clairie.
Thanks to Hannah for the pic!

20 Comments:

Blogger Chelle said...

Wow, how consistent are you. Great run on Sunday, especially backing up from an equally great run on Saturday!

7:46 AM  
Blogger Lulu said...

More bling; you Brissie girl must need a big cabinet for all the race bling you win!

A great weekend for you Tesso and I'm sure you'll soon be beating your previous PBs again.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Shane said...

Until I read clairies post I didn't know that you had raced the night before. I wouldn't be disappointed with those track times, the amount of longer stuff you have been doing in preparation for Canberra will have an impact on your speed. You are still not that far off that pace, a few weeks of the shorter stuff will get you back up there im sure.

Great run yesterday, which is even more outstanding now that I know you raced the night before. Those splits are awesome, how consistant are they?... perfect!

Now that you know my hometown origins, im not to sure if im going to take your advice anymore, just glad you didn't know before the race yesterday :)

8:24 AM  
Blogger Gronk said...

Nice run Tesso. You judged your pace really well from start to finish.

9:23 AM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Tess your splits are so consistent and very close to mine. You were so close all the way!! Scary really. Here I was going all out and you were just strolling along.....well done to you!

Now that these races are out of the way I am really looking forward to some nice slow gentle long runs.

Hope the leg stretches itself out today and there are no further complications. Not looking forward to the DOMS tomorrow and no doubt since you seem to be racing everyday you must get that everyday as well!!!!
I enjoyed our breaky afterwards. Must remember to make it official that we do that after each Championship run! Lots of fun to talk over the race with everyone around a cup of coffee. Even if it is decaf!

10:00 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Another string of great runs put together is on target to have you in great shape for Canberra. Especially after a nice taper :)

10:19 AM  
Blogger Ellie80 said...

that is so fast!! Great race Tesso!!

10:32 AM  
Blogger CJ said...

Well done guys! You're both on fire and running really really well.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Woderful consistency in those lap times Tesso. I think I need to take a closer look at mine. I think that they are all over the place.
It certainly was an excellent event. I am eager to get to Canberra.

6:50 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Tess what a great run!!! 2nd fastest half marathon... well done! Ohh to run that fast for that long :-) I am looking forward to the half in May (if I survive Canberra ok) to give my PB a shake... I would love to crack the 105mins

Keep up all your hard work and see you io less than a month!

7:24 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Wow Tesso - what a fantastic result well done mate ;-)

You truly are a remarkable athlete and a Team J legend :-)

PS thanks for your support in the lead up to my Six Foot quest - it really was much appreciated.

7:36 PM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

I'm sure with a targeted preparation and a nice taper you would be able to better your Pb. And then, when (if) I catch up to you I am sure to have a battle on my hands. Looking forward to it.

Still feeling guilty about flying past you though, so I am glad to hear some good came out of it.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Stu Mac said...

Tess, congratulations on so many things....

I haven't been doing much blog reading lately and I am rapt to read you are having a go at the track racing, a great way of enforcing the speed work... A track star in the making!

Congrats on your even split HM after some track racing!

10:54 PM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

Great splits there Tesso well done.

9:42 AM  
Blogger miners said...

Absolutely fantastic time Tess - particularly after your predictions. Love seeing the Brissy Bling girls in a piccie

1:09 PM  
Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

Excellent result. I think someone is a lot fitter than they thought. There is nothing like a half marathon to put your speed endurance to the test. Having tracked your weekly mileage for a while now, I was not surprised by how well you hang on to the pace. You should come over here and run in some cool conditions and really find out what you are capable of!

4:24 PM  
Blogger Don Juan said...

Well done Tess. Strong run.

That track racing will be good for you in the long run. Hang in there.

7:37 PM  
Blogger Don Juan said...

Well done Tess. Strong run.

That track racing will be good for you in the long run. Hang in there.

7:38 PM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

Good splits there, I'm sure sub 90 is just around the corner.

2:38 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

You're fit Tesso... only 2:26 off your PB in a pretty big week. Good race!

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home