Sunday, February 26, 2006

The Best Laid Plans

This morning's longer race at BRRC was a 20k. I thought I'd incorporate that into my long run and came up with a master plan. I'd do a warm-up of 5k or more at around 5:30 pace, then run the 4 x 5k loops of the race at 5:20s, then 5:10s, 5:00s and finally 4:50s. At the end of the race I'd zip over and hand my place card in and then continue on at that 4:50 pace until I'd racked up at least 30k, preferably 35k. The idea was to have no breaks, and to practice marathon day fuelling. Clairie was gonna be in on it.

We took off on our warm up, and Karisma joined us for a couple of kms. We were under 5 minute pace and kept saying to eachother we should slow down. But we didn't. After 5k we were back at the start/finish, Clairie stopped for a loo break and I continued on. Ended up at the line with about 30 seconds before race start and had done 7k, all under 5 minute pace.

I guess I got in the zone, and just continued running sub 5s. Clairie revved it up and I let her go - ha ha, as if I could keep up! At about the 3k mark of the race Scott B pulled up beside me, he too was using the event as part of a long run. He's training for the upcoming Ironman Oz. We ran the rest of the race together. It was so interesting talking to him, hearing about his training etc. Checking my splits we were doing 4:50s to 4:55s.

Before I knew it we were on the home stretch of the last lap, and for a minute there I thought we'd done one less lap than we had - the conversation must've been good! Couldn't resist speeding up a little in the last km to pass a girl. Scott invited me to run a fifth lap with him but I declined.

Here's where the master plan really fell apart. I handed my place card in and rather than hit the road straight away from some more kms Clairie and I chatted to all and sundry for about 20 minutes or more. Talked to my two nephews (aged 11 and 13) who had both run the 5k under 25 mintues, just seconds seperating them. Apparently there was a little argy bargy going on :-)

By the time we started again running was the last thing either of us wanted to do. Claire G joined us for some of it, she'd just done the 10k race in an amazing 36.21 or thereabouts. We were gasping for breath and she was talking away on her mobile! We ended up averaging 5:15s for that last 5k.

Even though I didn't follow my plan I'm not too unhappy with the way things panned out - 27k in 2h12m and then 5k in 26m15s ... 32k in just over 2h38m. And those first 27k I was backing off a little and not going 100%. I had some Usana drink for brekky before the run and at about 17k had a gel. It didn't go down too well :-(

I wasn't pleased that I only got to 32k though. It gave me 94k for the week. So of course all I could think about the rest of the day was should I hit the road for 6k just to make the 100k.

At about 5.15pm I gave in and 'just did it' :-)


Sunday: 32k + 6k
Week Total: 100k
Month Total: 371k
Year Total: 747k

10 Comments:

Blogger 2P said...

LOL Tess - you are a nut! You also racked up your Jumbo Jet year total as well ;-)

I just left a note on Miss G's blog to say we should add up our Team J k's and compare them to the rest - between you, Kit, Miss G and Steve I reckon we would slay em (he says vicariously seeking glory by association from the Big 3 of Team J).

Nice work mate ;-)

9:06 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

er make that Big 4...

See I can't even count - let alone run :-)

9:07 PM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Well done Tesso on getting out there and doing that 6km this afternoon!! That would have been tough.

I also planned to go with Allan for his run this arvo but he came home and woke me up LOL I had fallen fast asleep at 3pm and was still napping at 5pm!!!

I can't believe I forgot to put my skins on today I think that is why i still feel very sore.

Hopefully tomorrow will be enough recovery so I can focus on getting some running energy back for this week...got any you want to share with me??

See ya Tuesday kiddo.

9:24 PM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

Hmmm and who was telling me that they prefer their long runs on Saturdays so Sunday's are free.......

9:49 PM  
Blogger D said...

You are so FAST Tesso. I love your drive!!!

1:57 AM  
Blogger RunDave said...

Well done Tesso. It sounds like the plans weren't too disrupted. And you still got out for a second session a la Mona. At what point do you say to yourself I'm going to make it up to 100 - 93, 92, 91 less?

10:36 AM  
Blogger miners said...

you big silly - i can imagine how that 6km was eating away at you though, and can't say that I wouldn't do the same ;)

11:04 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Team J has gone MAAAAD!!!! I can so relate though... I would think the same way hahaha How did they bunch us all together. Great effort!

7:08 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

You are becoming a slave to your diary Tesso ;)

Couldn't resist speeding up a little in the last km to pass a girl

That's the true racer coming through!

By the way, a good fast long run even if it did include 20 minutes of chatting.

8:43 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Hmmmm Tess - strange, vey strange! I read your blog and I feel so inadequate - oh well, I'll jst keep plodding away!

Well done on your 100kms though!

8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home