Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Long Short Session

Tuesday: 17k
Week Total: 17k
Month Total: 288k
Year Total: 664k


I've had to shuffle my work hours a little to fit in with a couple of colleagues' child care arrangements, that means the end of my usual morning off on this shift rotation. Though as part of the deal I was able to negotiate a 7.30am start rather than 7am so I could do a complete Pat session.

A spanner in the works today was giving up my carpark. So I took all my gear to work last night and ran the 5k or so to The Ship Inn for the start of the session. I used the Camelbak, minus the bladder, to carry a few odds and ends such as keys and mobile. It worked a treat!

In my usual style I took way to long to get ready and so it was a bit of a mad dash to get there, I made it with about a minute to spare before the warm-up, which Pat told us was over the Goodwill up to Edward St then a lap of The Gardens. I was already warm! Keith, Tori, Jan and I were leading the way and we thought a lap meant all the way to the bridge and back and couldn't work out why if we were in front coming up the straight we could see everybody else had finished - we were meant to cut across through the middle of The Gardens. So I'd now done 8 1/2k already - even warmer now!

The session was '15 minutes' of sprints, that's 15 Pat minutes though :-) We go around a big square running fast, then slow, then fast, then slow. Knowing I'm still lacking in the 'fast' department I made the slows not so slow. I tried to keep Clairie in my sights but just as I'd start reeling her in on the recovery bits, she'd zoom off on the sprints. I starting to think she wasn't in WA last week at all, rather at some secret training camp :-)

After the warm down I hung around just long enough to get my fill of cold watermelon and pineapple before running the 2k or so to work. So more kms than a usual Tuesday, but it wasn't too painful, so I might do it more often. Come to think of it I mightn't have much choice!

10 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

I think you might be right about Clairie being in a secret training camp. That has to be what she was doing.

1:33 PM  
Blogger R2B said...

Yeah i find i can obsess about time and pace too and forget to run for enjoyment,so its good to leave your watch/Garmin behind at least once per week and just do whatever.
Happy running R2B

2:20 PM  
Blogger Random Psychologist said...

BTW, was flipping through a running mag at the newsagent yesterday and saw the grinning faces re training over said bridge!

Good Work :)

2:52 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Quick... some one check if this girl is human!!!! Great effort Tess... you really put the training in...cant wait to watch you reap the rewards!!

4:46 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Nice workout Tess - your yearly km total is going to go through the roof!

5:58 PM  
Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

Leave the watch at home [shudder]? You do realize this is a bunch of confirmed ARs you are talking to (well 2P is a self-confessed one and I am also one...I'd have to count the others :-)

Have I missed something...is the Camelback use in preparation for a race of some sort, or is it just a new training aid to stave off dehydration?

7:44 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Let Clairie go - she must be on something.

It's worth persisting with the 'fast department' Tesso.

8:26 PM  
Blogger Horrie said...

That session is a tough one Tesso. It's best to let Clairie go. As others have said, she was doing some secret training. I hope she wasn't with Said Aouita!

5:27 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

So sorry I haven't dropped by lately Tesso. I hate it when life gets in the way of reading blogs. I don't even think I've congratulated you on the 12 hour race - how slack am I? Congratulations by the way - what an awesome effort !

5:46 AM  
Blogger Ellie80 said...

Hey Tess - nice work! I love that your runs to and from training out-kilometre my whole runs by loads!!

Love reading your stuff!
E

8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home