Tuesday, February 07, 2006

A Little More On Caboolture ... by a little moron :-)

Its been over 48 hours since I stopped running, and not surprisingly I don't plan to start again for a day or two. DOMS has set in, though its not nearly as bad as I expected and its definitely been way worse after most of my marathons. I've been wearing my long Skins a fair bit.

I was really tired all day at work yesterday but then was wide awake last night, my stomach was playing up a little. Luckily a bad Ashton Kutcher movie (are there any good ones?) on Fox put me to sleep about 1am.

So now I'm trying to eat lots of healthy stuff and rest up. I'd like to be back on the road Thursday morning for an easy jog. We'll see.

Anyway, before I forget too much I thought I'd post a bit of boring info etc about the 12 hr race.


THE LEAD UP

Thursday and Friday I was rostered on night shifts. We're going through a pretty busy time at the moment and so I hoped like hell to get away a little early Friday. Around 12.30am things had settled down and so I headed home. Slept until about 6.30am, got up and had brekky and did a few things, then went back to bed for a couple of hours. So I was pretty well rested by the time I had to leave to drive up to Caboolture.


FOOD - what I took with me and what I ate ....

3 muesli bars - nil
2 Powerbars - had about half of one before the start
2 protein bars - nil
1 lge Pringles salt and vinegar chips - nil
1 lge Monsoon salt and vinegar chips - nil
1 sml Tasty Jacks salt and vinegar chips - about half the packet
2 pkts Sunburst jelly beans - had about 1/4 of one packet
1 bag of Haigh's dark choc coated coffee beans - had maybe 30 or so beans
1 english muffin with Promite and honey - ate half of this
1 english muffin with Promite - nil
4 PB gels - nil
1 vanilla creamed rice - nil
1 box of mini iced donuts - nil, tho I had one after I finished :-)


DRINKS - what I took with me and what I drank ....

2 cans normal Coke - nil
2 cans Coke Zero - nil
3 cans black V - drank about 2/3 of one of them
2 bottles of red Powerade - drank one
6 x 350ml bottles weak Endura - drank one
6 x 350ml bottles of half strength Usana Nutrimeal - drank about 1 1/2 of them
12 x 350ml bottles of water - drank them all

I'd just been eating what I normally would in the build up though did have plain pasta Friday night rather than the usual something and salad. Saturday morning I'd eaten my normal brekky of rye toast, had an apple at morning tea time, and an english muffin for lunch. I'd had a few glasses of Endura in the two days before, and tried to drink lots of water.

The first few hours during the race alternating the Usana drink and water kept me going. After that I'd had enough of the Usana and survived mainly on water and Powerade, with some jelly beans and choc coated coffee beans occasionally. When I did feel slightly hungry I'd grab a bit of an english muffin or some salt & vinegar chips. It was way less than I expected to eat, in fact if I was just sitting at home watching TV I would've had way more than that! But I can't say at any time that I ever felt lacking in energy or the need to eat more.


MY LAP COUNTS

7pm - 20
8pm - 39
9pm - 58
10pm - 78
11pm - 96
12am - 114
1am - 132
2am - 149
3am - 166
4am - 183
5am - 200
6am - 211


THE MUSIC

I had my brand new iPod Shuffle (Apple had replaced for my old one that broke down) and Clairie's hubby Al had lent me his iPod Mini. So on mine I put about 7 hours of mixed music and set it to shuffle.

The first song to come on was "Together In Electric Dreams". Its one of those corny songs I'm embarrassed to admit I really like, so that put me in a good mode. Next up was "Godhopping" by Dogs Die In Hot Cars. Not embarrassed to admit to that one :-) Around 9pm "Harlem Shuffle" came on (made me think I should've saved it for 5am) and I paused it to talk to somebody. When I went to start it again nothing happened. I tried and tried and tried but to no avail. Arrgghh!! Luckily I had backup, though ran for an hour or so without music just to take in the atmosphere.

On Al's iPod I had several playlists -
Super Requests (over 3 hrs of requests from fellow runners)
Songs For The Dumped (almost 2 hrs there!)
The Elvii (1/2 hr of mixed Elvis Presley and Elvis Costello)
Blues
Songs About Drinking
Songs With Monologues In Them
Duets
Country
Covers
The End (stuff for my last 1/2 hr)

I started with Super Requests, it gave me lots to think about trying to recall who requested what. Next up I think was Songs For The Dumped and then I'm not sure what, its all a bit of a blur now. I do know that when I was getting close to the 100k I was listening to the Elvii, and Elvis Costello's "Pump It Up" was playing as I hit the magic mark :-)

Played some Blues after that I think and then at 5.30am started my End set. First up was Jimmy Reed "The Sun Is Shining" followed on by the Rabbit cover of Daniel Johnston's "Good Morning You". And what a laugh cruising around the track with minutes to go listening to REM's "Everybody Hurts" :-)

The final song to take me to 6am was Green Day's "Good Riddence" ....

Another turning point, a fork stuck in the road
Time grabs you by the wrist, directs you where to go
So make the best of this test, and don't ask why
It's not a question, but a lesson learned in time

It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right.
I hope you had the time of your life.


I did :-)

19 Comments:

Blogger Chelle said...

hey, glad to hear you're going okay. That food list was really interesting, I expected you to have eaten it all the amount of energy you burnt, quite surprised that you didnt.
I cant imagine ever doing what you just did, but a 6hour walk/run "a la Hannah" may hold a some appeal (I just said may!!)

2:29 PM  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

I had a little smile and chuckle at your last song. A good choice that sums it all up. Well done, we are so very proud of you.

TA

3:32 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Geez Tesso - you didn't eat enough to keep a sparrow alive - I'm amazed! Good to have it all there though - never know what you will feel like on the night.

Yeah - I felt worse after each of my Six Footses than I did after 12hr - it was Thursday before I ventued out for something that kind of imitated a run too :-)

Glad to here the recovery is going so well.

Great post ;-)

3:33 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

Great post, lots of interest and I especially liked the song selections.

8:15 PM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

Good post there. Very interesting reading.

8:57 PM  
Blogger Cirque said...

I'm glad you're feeling OK Tesso. When do we get to hear the rest of the story about this 'boring' race?
Come on Girly, there's lots more to go yet.

9:26 PM  
Blogger vat_man said...

Mate, been meaning to read the CR thread on Caboolture, and finally got to it this evening. A huge effort for a huge result - awesome.

9:27 PM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

No need to be embarrassed by "Together in Electric Dreams". I like it too and actually have it on a 7" 45.

The Elvii - that would have been great to hear.

Your pacing was perfect.

Can't believe how little you ate.

9:44 PM  
Blogger runlady said...

well done Tess. Hope you recover well.

9:52 PM  
Blogger miners said...

Brilliant - brilliant race, brilliant report. Was wondering how the music playlist turned out for you.

So are you telling me the donuts were only consumed after the race? You were supposed to be my test bunny!!

7:56 AM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Tess I had the time of my life watching you.

Oh and I don't think you ate half that packet of chips...I did!! Evertime you went past I snuck a few in.

Now if I had known you had pringles in the bag......

8:12 AM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Oh yeah...you forgot to mention the massive breakfast we all had the minute you finished.

That was what your body had been craving!!! Sausage sandwiches!!!

8:13 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

My God Tess.... how did you keep going on such little food???

Again awesome effort and very inspirational! I am glad to hear your resting up!

11:58 AM  
Blogger R2B said...

Great report Tesso,
Hope my request gave you a chuckle for the sillyness of it.As robert said your pacing was so even 17-18 laps/hour, how did you keep track off it and did you speed up or slow at any time because of it?Not really surprised by how little you ate during the race...most people would be surprised by how long you can go for without a decent meal.
Look forward to hearing more.
Cheers R2B

5:14 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

Firstly Im a bit late but congratulations an awesome effort well done you deserve it. It's shame I missed the finish. You didn't seem to eat much, however those hourly lap conts were very consistant.

Great last song those lyrics really do sum up the run.

Well done again :)

9:58 PM  
Blogger Stu Mac said...

Tesso, WOW & congrrrats on a great effort!

Stu Mac

11:01 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

I never would have thought of you as a little moron Tesso. I love reading you post. Both you and Clairie should have been journalists.

I won't be at West End on Sunday. I want to get in a longer run, as compared to my usual runs. I am not talking 100k+ like a little moron I know.

8:01 AM  
Blogger Tamyka Bell said...

Ahhh... and therein lies my mistake - I got distracted by my picnic ;-) I think I ate more in my first three laps than you ate all night! (Well, I ate 3 pikelets, a powerbar, a gel, and drank half a bottle of sports drink in the first hour...)

2:15 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Tesso, I'm glad you had the time of your life. 12 hours is a long time. You might be good at this... now, that's a scary thought.

6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home