Thursday, February 02, 2006

Dress Rehearsal

Wednesday & Thursday: 22k
Week Total: 32k
Month Total: 22k
Year Total: 398k

Though I was planning to run alone at my Caboolture pace I met up with the Regatta Runners at 6am Wednesday. Liz-N was there, so we were able to have a good chat about Caboolture plans. She's doing the 6 hours, her first ultra! A sweaty Clairie rocked up just before we took off, she'd started early and already done a steady 4k.

Ran the first 4k or so with Liz before she turned back, the pace was probably a bit faster than we both intended. But then I slowed down a little, closer to 6 minute pace, which is as fast as I want to be doing at Caboolture. Then Geoff caught up to me so running with him through the Gardens I upped it a little. I left him at the 5 1/2 km mark and headed back.

I thought at last I can concentrate on running 6 minute pace! Not for long. 500 meters down the path I passed Gary M out on a long mid weeker and he turned around and ran with me for a while. Gary ran 34:26 for 10k at the track last week, so you can imagine his idea of long slow run :-) Anyway, from the Goodwill Bridge back I was on my own.

All up 11km done faster than planned - the Garmin told me I averaged 5:17s.

Had a massage mid morning. With the big run coming up Mark took it easy on me and I only felt like vomiting a couple of times from the pain. He's so good to talk to about this endurance stuff, his big event is at the end of February - an adventure race (running, kayaking, biking) that he hopes his team will complete in 8 days! That's on the go all the time, with maybe 4 hours sleep a day. Makes my 12 hours seem like a walk in the park.

*****

Pat's today was 2k reps. They are such a good test of exactly where you are speed wise. I really would've liked to have gone but opted for another crack at running my Caboolture pace. This time to make it more authentic I even wore the running kit I plan to wear Saturday night, right down to the socks.

Set out around 6.30am and headed along the bike path into the Gardens. Passed Kumi on the way and stopped for a quick chat. She did the 12 hours a few years ago though couldn't remember too much about it other than it rained that night!

At 5 1/2 km I stopped and had a walk, just so I can get the feel what its like to start up again after a walk break. I wished I had been doing a little more of this in training as it felt a bit wierd.

All up 11k and averaged around 6 minute pace - just what I wanted! Before I set out I had a little of my Usana Nutrimeal drink, and had a bit more at halfway. Its low GI, goes down really well, and is quite filling.

So that's it now, I'm putting the feet up until Saturday evening :-)

22 Comments:

Blogger Tamyka Bell said...

Mark's race must be the XPD, by Geocentric Adventure Racing. Soooo jealous!

6min/km - wow girl, you're going to do awesome! That's far more interesting than the "stay on my feet for 12 hours" that I'm aspiring to. (It's all good training for that 24hr MTB race I just signed up for...)

11:43 AM  
Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

I was reading that first post and starting to think, shouldn't she be tapering!! Looks like you have it under control.

All the best of luck Tesso. Very excited for you.

I also meant to say congratulations on your 5k time trial the other day. A very good time and shows you have really built back up nicely since the injury. Good on you!

12:26 PM  
Blogger D said...

Good luck speed demon.

12:51 PM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Tess, Tess, Tess....what can I say.

It is getting towards the end of a very exciting time and I am so glad I will be there to share Saturday night with you.

I have some rope to tie down anyone who annoys you, a gun to shoot anyone who doesn't score your laps correctly and a calculator (thanks to 2p for the suggestion) to make sure I keep you updated with your pacing requirements towards the end.

So all that and the tim tams for my midnight snack...I seem to have it all covered.

I agree with the strain that stopping, walking and then starting running again takes on you. Liz and I were discussing that this morning. It is really hard to get going sometimes - mentally AND physically. Put this down in the diary to do more of before your next big ultra.

But for Canberra we have to practice the opposite - no stopping. GULP. That will be my biggest barrier on Sat night....3hrs of nonstop running. Never ever ever have I done that before.

So make sure you let me know if there is anything you would like me to be in charge of on Sat night or anything I need to bring.
I'm warming my voice up already for the final burst of encouragement at 4am!!!

1:21 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

By yiminee Tesso you had me worried with the first part of your post.... but good to see your dress rehearsal Mk11 went so well :-)

Don't worry about getting started after the walk break - your motivation to get as far as you can in the 12 hrs will take care of getting you going again.

Mentally I found it helped if I upped the pace just slightly (not much - just a bit or you defeat the purpose) on the lap heading into the walk break (my predetermined breaks were 1 min) so I counted down the last few seconds like they do at Cape Canaveral each time (Pavlovs Dog and all that).

Goforrit Tesso - you are going to do so well ;-)

2:00 PM  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

All the best for the '12 hours'. You have worked towards it with great planning and plenty of training and now it's time to relax and then let it all come together. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

TA

2:37 PM  
Blogger Eagle said...

As I said this morning good luck and I will be thinking of you.

2:44 PM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

Best of luck in you 12 (oh my god!) hour run.
I will be thinking and cheering for you all the way from Vic.

3:25 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Go Tess... team J is will be cheering you on!! 100 here you come! Enjoy the few days rest!

7:23 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Tess- a few more songs:
*Crabbuckit, K-O (this is really funky)
*I like the Way, Body Rockers (great beat)
*Adagio for Strings, DJ Tiesto ( this one really builds up and gets you going)
* Unwritten, Natasha Bedingfield ( the words are great in this one)

7:32 PM  
Blogger Cirque said...

I'm so glad I'm going to be there after all.

This is when you'll see all that hard work paying off!

7:38 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

Kick back and enjoy your rest. You will do great. See you up there :)

8:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Tess, I'll be thinking of you on Saturday. I can't properly express the admiration I have for you in undertaking this ultra; you are truly a most remarkable lady - I wish you every bit of the success you deserve...good luck!

9:08 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Every step you take Tesso, will be a step closer to your goal. What a wonderful achievement it will be to add to your, already, long list. Whatever the 12 hours brings you, you have what it takes to endure to the end.

9:18 PM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

All the best with the run.

Hope your batteries last the distance. It would be terrible to run out of music.

9:32 PM  
Blogger the_en4cer said...

You're my hero! You're gonna go great guns! I would have loved to got down to Caboolture and given you a bit of vocal support but unfortunately I'll be somewhere along the Bruce Highway at the time. I can't wait to read how you went so all the best - you're already a winner so try and enjoy it as much as possible :)

12:01 AM  
Blogger Gronk said...

Will be thinking of you Tess. Good luck !

7:57 AM  
Blogger R2B said...

Good luck Tesso!
Funny thing i was out running on wednesday and did 11km @5:18 pace too!Hope you have a controlled run and stopping for breaks doesn't stuff you up.
Cheers R2B

10:11 AM  
Blogger Matty said...

Good luck Tess and I'll see you out there on Sat Night - I have a surprise motivational tactic in store for you ;-)

1:08 PM  
Blogger Tamyka Bell said...

Hey Tesso,

we are gonna ge a great team of soloists, the best looking 12hr crew ever! Can't wait to trade bagels for donuts, etc.

9:36 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

will be thinking of you on saturday night .... good luck

10:41 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

I hope it all went well Tesso. I'm looking forward to reading about it.

3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home