Sunday, January 29, 2006

Aus Day Fun Run

Thursday and Friday: 16k
Week Total: 36k
Month Total: 322k
Year Total: 322k

As I was going to be in Sydney for Australia Day I couldn't resist entering the Aus Day fun run. My goal for the 8k was to run at 4:35 pace or less, which, if my maths isn't too shoddy, would have given me a time of 36:40.

It was great to catch up with so many CRs pre-race, some of us even warmed up together, something I often forget to do. I started the race with JD, Go-Girl and Katie, but we were a fair way back in the crowd. It took us 22 seconds just to get to the start line!

The first km was very crowded, and so was slow. But after that, even with all the twists and turns and dodging and weaving I managed to maintain a pretty steady pace. I wished I'd worn my Garmin though, the km markers were very dodgey.

After that first chaotic km I spotted Gronk not too far in front - yay, a target! But he was having a great race, I don't think it was until around the 6k mark that I seemed to make some ground and eventually caught up to him.

Meanwhile, JD and I had been playing a bit of cat and mouse. As we passed the start/finish heading for the last lap I was just meters behind, and the CR cheersquad were egging me on to catch up to him. Alas, it wasn't to be. But at least trying to do so got me a better finishing time than expected - 35:04 (on my watch). I was happy that those who did wear their Garmins measured it as just over 8k, so at least the course wasn't short.

Score - JD 1, Tesso 0. Next race, Saturday's CR 5k Challenge.

Afterwards all we 8k runners cheered on the 4k people. It was fantastic to see Timbo out there, especially when he spotted the finish line, put the foot down and sprinted away from his dad Horrie :-)

****

Friday morning I did a very cruisey 8k, running into and around Darling Harbour. Not much to report other than the fact that in the space of about a minute I ran past and said hello to five other runners (all running on their own) and not one hello came back my way! Just after that I passed a couple of guys walking along drinking Coronas and having a ciggie - they said hello! It was around 7am. Beer o'clock is very early in Sydney :-)

16 Comments:

Blogger Shane said...

Well under your expected time, that's great. Sounds like it was a good time catching up with the Sydney CR's.

Im originally from Sydney and I have noticed that people seem much more social and friendly here in Brisbane. Pretty rude.

See you at Caboolture Saturday :)

6:39 PM  
Blogger Clairie said...

An excellent run on Australia Day Tesso. Don't forget to include your warm up km's in your weekly mileage!! They all count I say!

I think you have JD running scared now that you have a score to settle. Will be interesting to see where (because I know you will) this will happen.

Now hurry home. We have lots of running to do this week before our Champagne breaky at Caboolture on Sunday :)

6:56 PM  
Blogger Wobbly man said...

A great time there Tesso. Its always great to exceed expectations - kinda lifts your mood for the next few days..

7:29 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

Ran into two people who knew you in Slaughters Falls carpark this evening ... Rolf and Cathy or was it Tracy ... maybe it was something else ... they are doing 3 hours each at Caboolture ... Bris Road Runners ....

7:49 PM  
Blogger Don Juan said...

Those 7am runners are all short of breath racing to grab a cold beer. They don't serve XXXX at Darling Harbour.

Good to have you back. no thoughts of defecting south?

8:16 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Good run Tesso! Now the countdown to next Saturday.......

10:04 PM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

You're certainly clocking up the k's. I'm trying to keep up but you're 20 odd k's in front at the moment.

I thought you had a Garmin, if you have, I'd suggest SportTracks program (free) which you can double check and re-measure (re-plot) your actual course.

10:32 PM  
Blogger the_en4cer said...

Great run at the Aus Day Fun Run! Did you do the CR 5km Challenge?

Us Queenslanders or StinkTowners as Go-Girl likes to call us :) are much more friendly bunch then our southern friends.

11:44 PM  
Blogger Horrie said...

Great run Tesso. We had fun geeing you up to catch JD. He was like the electronic rabbit and you were the greyhound trying to catch him. It was great theatre.

5:15 AM  
Blogger Chelle said...

From the sounds of Clairies post beer o'clock could be pretty early for you this Sunday too ;)

6:01 AM  
Blogger 2P said...

Nice work Tesso - didn't you do the STaR as well?

Pity I missed you up the mountains - I had some spare time too - oh well one of these days ;-)

8:21 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Sorry I missed you this trip Tesso, but I had some "sekret" training to do!

I bet those guys with the beers at 7am were Irish? Every time we run through that part of the city on Sunday mornings we see some substance influenced individuals and they always seem to be Irish (no offence spud!)

9:02 AM  
Blogger RunDave said...

Well done on the time. Seems like we each have our own running nemesis.

I hate it when you say g'day to another runner (or walker) and get nothing back. We're all out there being healthy and enjoying the outdoors. We have something in common, so why not be friendly and return the gesture?

10:08 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

It is great to hear that you are in such good form Tesso. This is going to be another action packed year for you, it seems.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

It is great to hear that you are in such good form Tesso. This is going to be another action packed year for you, it seems.

7:30 PM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

Although I have only heard "Extraordinary Machine" about three times as yet while running, I agree it is a great running song.

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home