Sunday, January 15, 2006

A Getting Ready PW

Today Total: 30k
Week Total: 79k
Month Total: 189k
Year Total: 189k

Friday I worked overnight and was going to leave there at 4.30am, run to The Regatta for the Saturday run, stick with Clairie for her scheduled 24k, then run back to work to collect the car. That would've given me around 33k and at least 3 hours. Although I started getting ready to leave at 4am it was 4.35 before I was out the door and so just drove home (10 mins), did some more getting ready and was at The Regatta just before 5am. Hopeless :-(

More were expected but there were just three of us there for the early kickoff - Clairie, Mark (iliketoast) and myself. We applied the 5 minute rule, then the 8, and then the 9 before taking off along the bikepath, over the Goodwill and then via Kangaroo Pt and the Story Bridge to New Farm Park. It was just over 12k to our usual tap. The other two, knowing I needed to clock up extra kms, kindly offered to do some stretching while I did a lap of the park (around 1km). Then they joined me for another one before heading back.

On the floating walkway we ran into deputy premier Anna running in the opposite direction, and stopped for a quick little chat. A minute or so later Tara, Ciaran and Scotty plus a few other Regatta runners rolled up so it turned in a longer chat.

Back on the road and into the Gardens where Mark and Clairie worked out they needed to do a lap there to bring their total up to 24kms. We did that and at that point I decided if I went back with them I'd surely pull up stumps way too soon. So they ran back and I put in another one and then ran out to Admiralty Towers. Saw Ruth, and stopped to say hello. Then Rachel wandered by and joined us. It was turning into a very social morning :-)

With about 5k to go I upped the pace a little for a km, and then upped it a little more (to around 5:10s) for the next two. Just 2k left and I really really just wanted to get this one over and done with so put the foot down and did these at around 4:45 pace.

All up 30k in 2:38 (av pace 5:16). So a good and bad morning. Good being able to do 30k in that time, especially finishing so strongly. Bad in that, with Caboolture in mind, I wanted to be on my feet for at least 3 hours, even if I ran the same distance.

4 Comments:

Blogger Shane said...

Seems like everyone had a bit of a sleep in.
Nice solid run, I would find it hard to start after stopping for chats in the latter stages of the run but Im guessing a welcome relief.

Sorry I missed you this morning, when it didn't go to plan I just wanted to get home before I cooled down too much and ice the sore bits

5:55 PM  
Blogger Bennyr said...

Working overnight and heading out for a 5:00 start? Maybe that's stuffing around a bit, but it's so far from hopeless it defies logic.

It has to take some heavy commitment to training. Well done, Tesso!

Cheers,
Ben

6:11 PM  
Blogger Chelle said...

I feel like I was the only one who didnt bump in to you guys... though I didnt go too far along the river really. Well done for keep going though, I would have gotten home and stayed there!

4:17 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

To be honest, I wanted the break so was a little disappointed that you flew around the path so quickly. Let do it again next week :)

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home