Thursday, January 12, 2006

A Mountain of Music

Today Total: 12k
Week Total: 37k
Month Total: 147k
Year Total: 147k

On my last post Clairie asked .... "How are the adductors going with the mileage/speed?"

They are okay, though I still do feel some pain in the area. After talking to others who've had similar injuries, I'm expecting this to take a while to subside. And I am heeding Adam the physio's advice of no 'all out sprinting'.

Which is why I opted out of Pat's session this morning (it was 30sec or 1 min reps) and headed for Mt Coot-tha instead. Sharon and I were wanting a road run and so planned to get to the JC Slaughter Falls car park at 5.30am, the same time as Clairie, Lizzle and the rest Chris's group who were doing some mountain goat hill reps.

After the tough workout yesterday, and too much pizza and red wine last night, I wasn't expecting much. But from the moment I started running I felt great. Not sure why, but I think a lot had to do with the great music I was listening to.

Going up the big hill (a 2.5 km climb I think it is) there was a cyclist about 20 meters in front of me and I managed to maintain the same distance behind him right to the top. He kept looking back, checking for cars I suppose. But I told myself he was worried a runner was gonna catch him :-) Going that final couple of hundred meters to the top playing on the iPod was Fiona Apple's "Extraordinary Machine" ....

If there was a better way to go then it would find me
I can't help it the road just rolls out behind me
Be kind to me or treat me mean
I'll make the most of it I'm an extraordinary machine

The minute we got to the ABC he took off, and I didn't see him for dust. Oh well, maybe I'm not such an extraordinary machine.

I reached the water stop shortly after that still feeling great, but there's a few kms of undulations to come, which I hate. Ha ha, next song was Bernard Fanning's "Not Finished Just Yet". I dedicated the next stretch of road to fellow CR blogger and Toowoomba's biggest Bernie/Powderfinger non-fan The Enforcer :-)

I wasn't planning on pushing it, but couldn't help myself go a little faster than I normally would on this run. Again, the music helped including one of my favourite discoveries of 2005, Jens Lekman with "You Are The Light" ...

Yeah I got busted
so I used my one phone call to dedicate
a song to you on the radio

Makes me laugh every time. Lots more great tunes followed and before I knew it I'd hit the Summit Restaurant and long downhill back to the car park.

At the finish I was pleasantly surprised to see 51.55 on the watch (its a 9.6km circuit). On training runs it usually takes me a couple of minutes or more longer. And I reckon I could've gone faster too without too much discomfort. I was thinking about doing a second lap but decided not to. I felt too good and wanted to make the most it, if that makes sense. So I just added a bit of a warmdown afterwards to bring the total kms to 12k.

I'm still trying to figure out why, but its probably the best I've run in a long time, it seemed almost effortless. No doubt I'll come back to earth with a thud on the Saturday long run.

7 Comments:

Blogger 2P said...

Good time to be hitting a purple patch Tess - between you and Clarie I'm getting a real urge to try out this Mt Coot-tha.

51.55 for a 9.6k circuit with hills is flying - I'm impressed ;-)

4:21 PM  
Blogger Superflake said...

Tesso good workout. That small hill at black mtn at 35ks will feel flat if you are doing Mt Cootha that fast.

4:22 PM  
Blogger miners said...

Hopefully I'll beat 2P to the Mt.Cootha outofstaters challenge. Great to see you running so well Tess - and I'm sure the others will appreciate the mountain goat descriptions you gave them ...

4:36 PM  
Blogger Don Juan said...

Not just cyclists, from what I hear other runners are looking over their shoulders too.

Must have been the red wine and pizza loading the night before that made you peak.

7:14 PM  
Blogger the_en4cer said...

One day you, me and Bernard will have to go run Mt Cootha while listening to Powderfinger tunes - that sounds like SO much fun :)

Over the last week I've been trying to sort of match your training regime - as of today I've given up. Running up mountains while listening to Bernard/Powderfinger is just cruel!

12:02 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Another great workout!!! YOu guys are little eveready bunnies!
My adductors are a bit sore too... interesting what you said about sprinting! I have done extra speedwork...hmm food for thought. I had a massage though last night... ahh heaven!

7:30 AM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

The Fiona Apple album is close to the top of my pile of yet to be listened to albums. Can't wait to get to it now. Will put it on my player and listen to it when I get back to running again hopefully in a few days time.

1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home