Sunday, January 01, 2006

No Watch

The battery on my Nike watch died a week or so ago. Last time this happened I couldn't find anyone here to replace it and sent it to Melbourne and $55 or so later it was okay. I was at the Gold Coast the other day and dropped in to the Nike store. I figured might buy a newbie, it wasn't gonna cost me much more. I was lamenting to the saleslady about how much it cost me to replace the battery last time and she was agreeing it was a pain, and said something about just one jeweller around that services Nike watches "and he's all the way up in Brisbane, at Toowong". She just lost a sale, his shop is 500m from my place :-)

Anyway, in the meantime I've been using my Polar HRM watch. But sitting having a cold drink after our run on Friday it just fell off, the band had snapped! So guess I'll be taking two watches to the friendly jeweller.

This morning at BRRC was the annual 10 No Watches run - great timing :-) What happens is you nominate a time you are going to run and nearest their guess gets the prize. After yesterday's 28k of hills I put down a time of 52:56 for myself.

I thought I was going a little faster than that but felt comfy so didn't worry about my prediction. Just after the 3k mark blogger Shane ran up beside me and introduced himself. It was great to meet him after weeks of reading eachothers blogs and commenting. We stuck together and chatted until the finish line - funny how much we knew about one another already!

I crossed the line in 49:06 - missed it by thaaaaaaaat much :-) Not to worry, at least it was good to know I could run that pace pretty comfortably after such a big week.

Robbie was spot on with his 42:00 and Lizzle one second off her 55:56. Amazingly she won this event last year as well. Both of them won watches for their effort (hmmmm, just what I need at the moment). But then my name was called out for a random prize and I got my first piece of BRRC club gear - a crop top!

What a great start to 2006 :-)

10 Comments:

Blogger Wobbly man said...

Hey Tesso - Happy New Year to you!

Souns like a good run to start the year with and winning some new running kit - even better!

Good luck with the watch repair!

1:11 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

It was good morning Tesso. I enjoyed the run and am glad so many turned out. An excellent start to the New Year.

1:48 PM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

What a great concept for a race, predicting your time, I'll have to watch out for one of those around my area.

I had the same problem with my Polar and am now on my third watch strap.

Anyway, all the best for 2006.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

That is a great start to the year... have you got a ticket in lotto? Your Luck might continue! Thats a great time following a tough run the day before!!

Happy new year :-)

3:10 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

Hey Tesso, It was good to finally meet, I just want to thank you for the run this morning. I hadn't planned to do 10k but having someone to run with, took my mind off the distance.
Sorry for blowing your prediction out the window but at least we weren't slower, I would feel bad if that happened.

Cheers again, see you nect race.

5:38 PM  
Blogger Black Knight said...

The best way to begin a running year: the price and the good final time. Compliments. Hi from Italy

12:37 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

What a nice way to bring in the new year!

I hope 2006 brings lots of happiness for you.

5:27 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Wow, what a great way to start the year with a run and some new running gear! It doesn't get much better does it ?

10:04 AM  
Blogger Lulu said...

Happy New Year Tesso! Sounds like a great start to the new year for you and I'm sure 2006 will continue in that vein!

See you soon

5:27 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

I'm losing count trying to guess your weekly kms. That's a great achievement in itself. Sorry I couldn't make the coast run, I'm sure it would have been enjoyable. I could have been "Toast on the Coast"!

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home