Saturday, December 24, 2005

Merry Kiss Moose

I got up around 4.15am but it was over half an hour later before I got out the door. I did about 4k at a steady pace before hooking up with Karen back at The Regatta. At a similar pace we headed out to just past the Vic Bridge before turning back to meet up with the 6am starters. I realised then that I'd forgotten to sunscreen my face and she said she hadn't sunscreened at all. We had a few minutes to spare when we got back so zipped into my place and remedied the situation, though it wasn't an easy task as we were both drenched in sweat by then, it was so humid.

There must've been 50 starters at The Regatta, don't think we've ever had that many. And to our surprise we had a very special guest along - Kelvin Marshall! When it came time to head of the group split into three, one lot went to Mt Coot-tha, others to UQ, and the rest of us along the bike path.

Karen, John (from Pat's) and I ended up running together with Scott about 50 meters ahead. When they decided to turn for home I called out to Scotty and we ran to New Farm Park. Pat was out kayaking in one of his squillions of funny Xmas hats and gave us a hoy and we stopped for a quick chat. Ran into Min along the way too.

The return leg from New Farm Park was hard yakka, and by the time we got to the Gardens I told Scotty I'd hit the wall, and was going to slow down, walk even. By this stage I'd done close to 27k. But strangely I started feeling great, and actually put the foot down, picked up the pace and was able to keep it going all the way home.

Ended up doing 32k in around 3hrs 5mins. I only had a coffee beforehand, and drank just water along the way, aside from a little Endura, but didn't feel like I needed anything else.

So it was a good confidence builder. I would've like to have gotten an earlier start, it was so hot by the end. I don't think it was a good idea at all wearing my moose Xmas hat.

Not sure why it takes me over half an hour to get ready to go for a run, especially when I have everything set out the night before. Gonna have to do some transition (bed to road) training I think :-)

11 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Oh, I need to do some of that transition training too. I have the same problem

Sounds like a great run Tess. It was bloody hot in Sydney today; I can't imagine what it would have been like up there

Wishing you all the best for tomorrow - I'm sure Santa will be kind to you!

7:01 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

And a Hippy Blue Bear.

You forgot sunscreen??? And after you roused on me too! Today before my run (even though I was running late) I thought "hmmm I can't take another ear boxing by uncompromising and stern Aunty Tesso - better slip, slop, slap" :-)

Sounds like a great run Tess - just the sort of thing you need in prep for your 12 hours assault.

Have an absoloodley fantasmagorical Christmas - stay safe and enjoy.

Cheers, 2P

7:23 PM  
Blogger miners said...

Another HUGE run - PMC's going ot be a breeze with the early prep you've got going there Tess.

You have yourself the merriest of Kiss Mooses. Look forward to catching up in the new year

(hope it was hotter up there than the 43 we got to today otherwise I'm moving!)

7:25 PM  
Blogger Aki said...

Merry Christmas Tesso, I'm looking forward to reading about more of these runs in 2006!

10:48 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

50 at the Regatta .... there wouldn't be as many if it wasn't for you ... thanks

I looked at the alarm clock around 5am this morning and thought about joining you for the run and drinks ... but i rolled over ... it's the thought that counts

sounds like you are all set for the 12 hours ...

8:27 AM  
Blogger Lulu said...

It takes me ages to get moving too in the morning. Mr lulu has it down pat and can be out of the door in about 10 mins!

See you next year and have a great Chrissie!

9:20 AM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

I certainly can't tell you anything about bed transition. Every morning that I wake up early to go for a run, it takes me about ten minutes to get over feeling like my running career is over as I am so stiff. And I do need my cup of coffee. And if it is watering day I can't help but get some legal hosing in.

Thanks for all the support this year and the music. Aren't young minds great. I have heard Kewell singing to himself "don't let the sun go down on my grieviance".

Have a great day today.

9:27 AM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year Tess.

I'm wondering if there are any articles in running magazines about bed to road transition, I know they would be useful for me as well.

9:36 AM  
Blogger Superflake said...

Merry Christmas Tesso. Looking forward to seeing you fast at Canberra in 2006. Hope you have a good day. Cheers

5:21 PM  
Blogger Don Juan said...

I thought I was reading tolstoy, a cast of thousands. You really do know everybody.

Even I sunscreened on Saturday after your comments to 2Ps.

You make 30+ km sound easy. Well done.

2:11 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Bed to run transition - I have t work on that too! Sounds like you had a hot run on Saturday too - I had a shocker.

Anyhoo, hope you had a great Chrissy!

8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home