Sunday, December 18, 2005

Mission Accomplished

With Caboolture Dusk to Dawn just a month and a half away I'm leaving it a bit late to get some serious training in if I want to do the 12 hour event. Still, I'm gonna give it a go - the training that is - and see what happens.

Saturday I wanted 'time on the feet' and the goal was to be out there for at least four hours. I got to South Bank just before 4.40am and ran on my own before hooking up with the rest of the crew who were starting at 6am.

Then we all headed toward New Farm, and with my plan for the morning I was glad all were in cruisey mode. Got to New Farm Park and Mark (iliketoast), Phil, Scott and I continued on, the rest went back. We ran up to the ferry terminal at Teneriffe and turned around there. Scotty and I eventually slowed down even more as the other two bolted off.

We got back to South Bank and I'd run for 3 hours and done around 31k I'd say. I stopped for a quick cold drink with the others at Chez Laila, which turned into a not so quick cold drink, maybe 50 mins. The last thing I felt like doing then was going back out there. But I did. I walked for about 15 mins, ran for 30 mins, then walked another 15 mins. In hindsight I think it was more the heat (it was over 30 degrees when I finished) than fatigue that got me in the end.

What a long morning. After getting up just after 4am I didn't get home until 10.30am. With 3 1/2 hrs running (covering approx 36k) and 1/2 hr walking (maybe 3k) I had 4 hours on my feet. Also I had almost an hour on my bum at the cafe. Obviously I have too much time on my hands :-)

13 Comments:

Blogger Shane said...

Very impressive yet scary goal you set. Scary for me that is, 4 hrs on foot is a long time! Great work, definently some good lead up training for the 12hr event :)

6:11 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

Pactically 12 hours when you consider all the running during the week. You are doing so well. I look forward to next Saturday to put my km's in the bank.

7:09 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

Oops, actually meant "more km's in the bank" ... "my" sort of works.

7:11 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Nice work Tesso. I think time spent on your bum in a cafe talking about running (almost many other things of course) is an important part of any training program ;-)

8:11 PM  
Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

Nice job Tesso. Apparently the ideal time on your feet training run is about three hours because you have to get over two hours to get into fat burning mode and after three hours the chance of injury starts excalating. I read that in relation to marathon training. Not sure how it transfers to training for all-nighters. I guess for them the odd cafe break is an important part of the routne. Nice to have a sport where the lines between competing and training and socializing are so blurry.

9:05 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

OOhhh Tesso - reading about runs like this gets me excited!

So what's your target for 12hrs?

Great run mate ;-)

9:29 PM  
Blogger the_en4cer said...

Well I'm in awe! You're like a human Energizer Bunny - you just keep going and going.

You have my admiration and respect!

9:32 PM  
Blogger Lulu said...

Wow, that's great Tesso. I'm sure the cafe break was an essential part of the training and will make all the difference on the day ;)

6:33 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Wow... that would have needed one huge nana nap!!! Good on you Tesso! JD and I were talking about your 12hr debut last wed... I said then and I will say again WOW!!! You are very determined and you will do really well! Have you pukked up ok from the 4hrs? Just remember stretch!!
Go team J!!!

8:59 AM  
Blogger miners said...

You never cease to impress me Tess. That is a seriously huge effort, so while you might think 1.5 months isn't too long, your base fitness is perfectly there for success at the 12hour.

You're doing fantastically Tess - including the cafe bumwork

9:04 AM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

I'm amazed how you can straight out of bed go such big/long runs.

Did you eat anything (gels etc) along the way?

9:22 AM  
Blogger Gronk said...

Whats with this 12 hour business ? Running when you should be sleeping - madness I tell you, madness ! :-p

Wishing you a very Merry Xmas & HNY Tess.

Gronk :)

10:24 AM  
Blogger Clairie said...

How excited was I to find out you completed your goal on Saturday. That is wonderful news Tesso and I am so proud of you. Thanks Goodness I was not there - or I would have been tempted to do it with you.

I will certainly be keen for a regular 3-3.5 hr long run once I am back but for now...1hr sounds long to me :)

congrats mate :)

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home