Sunday, December 04, 2005

Cool Runners

The plan for Saturday was an easy 90 minutes. I was certainly looking forward to a relaxed run, thinking back none of the sessions I'd done a week and a half had been cruisey. Didn't wear the Garmin but measured via UBD on disk and we ended up doing around 17k in the hour and a half.

About a dozen of us headed from The Ship Inn through Kangaroo Pt and over the Story Bridge and back to the city. The pace was a little brisk. When we regrouped at the Gardens we realised we'd lost a few people. We figured they'd gone on to New Farm so just waited long enough to be sure.

It was then that Clairie and I decided it was time to slow down a little, this wasn't the pace we were after. Phil, who Clairie had been calling Gerard all morning :-), stuck with us as we hung back. Still, we were never really more than about 100 meters from Glenno, Lizzle, Robbie and Geoff as we headed out to Orliegh Park. They turned for home a couple of hundred meters before us, we went right up to the ferry terminal.

Just quietly, if I'd been carrying money, I would have stopped right there and then and ferried back to South Bank. Even though I'd had a rest day Friday I was struggling a bit, and it was such a humid morning. I remember at one point Clairie pointing out to me that my hair was dripping with sweat. Well, at least now we didn't feel obliged to keep the fast guys in our sights.

Phil left us at the Vic Bridge to run home. Just as Clairie and I were running past the beach at South Bank three little heads bobbed up out of the water and called out to us - it was Glenno, Lizzle and Geoff. Couldn't resist the urge to join them so it was off with the shoes and into the nice cold water for 10 minutes or so - beautiful! Though I don't think we looked too beautiful sitting at our post run brekky like a bunch of drowned rats :-)

7 Comments:

Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

Nice run. I can picture that scene of some hot, tired runners quenching themselves at Southbank.

I was thinking about your last post on the speed workout where you were disappointed not to hit the target times on the latter splits. Apart from the fact that it was hard day number three in a row, I think you also have to take the humidity and/or heat into account. Running with the heart rate monitor these past four months or so has really shown me just how much effect these factors have, and that you have to adjust target times and pace to match conditions. Just a thought.

3:51 PM  
Blogger Hannah said...

*L* the southbank stop sounds like a great idea - I think that should become a compulsory part of the running buddies ship inn run during the summer! *grins*

Great effort though - I've given up on running any better during this heat - though I'll get a sneaky three weeks of freezing cold running in soon, anyway! Maybe there's a PB opportunity in there somewhere ;)

4:50 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Ohhhhh... the water would have felt so good! The best medicine for sore and tired muscles... we should do it after all summer runs!

Not cathy freeman... but what a buzz! I wish to roads were made of that red bouncy stuff... even after 21km you feel like your so light on your feet! Also ran past Louose Savauge... what a morning!

7:17 PM  
Blogger Tamyka Bell said...

Tesso - you are the fast guys - they're the faster ones. Grrrr fast people!

9:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Don't know how you run like that on such humid days, Tess; I couldn't, but you did! I hope you're taking a rest day after that session.

9:49 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog Tesso :-) I could of used a dip meself today!

sounds like a great run with a perfect finish.

10:22 PM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Wasn't that swim the best thing in the world. I was just about to hit the pavement dying if I recall correctly when we saw those three little heads bobbing around.....

I don't know why that Sat run was so much harder than Wed but boy it knocked me for six. I spent most of the day lazing around in my skins and eating copious amounts of food :) You did well Tesso, as exhausted and tired as you may have been you never showed it.

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home