Saturday, November 26, 2005

Running Around With Boys

It was a 6am start at The Regatta. Being a combo of Brisbane Running Buddies and Regatta Runners this morning there must've been around 30 to 40 of us.

Some took off up Sylvan Rd for a Mt Coot-tha assault and the rest of us crossed over to the bikepath. I was about to follow the crowd in to the city but noticed a little breakaway group of Mark (aka Iliketoast, or GPS Boy, or Chilli Pants), Geoff (aka Fat Craig Mottram) and Gerard (aka Gerard) heading towards St Lucia so on the spur of the moment followed them. They were planning a shortened river loop, around 25k. The pace seemed a little faster than I usually do my long run in but Mark's trusty GPS told us otherwise.

Rather than making it a really short loop we turned left into Kadumba St at Yeronga got back to the river there. At Highgate Hill we decided to come back via the Victoria Bridge to cut a little off the course. By the time we go to the bridge Geoff and I were fading, the other two were about 50 meters ahead. Then some of the Mt-Coot-tha crew came towards us, and Mark and Gerard turned and ran to the Gardens and back with them. Geoff and I just kept on going and with 500m to go revved it up put in fast finish.

In total it was about 23km in dead on 2 hours. It was a pretty humid day and I was struggling at times. If not for the guys I reckon I would have taken longer to run less. And I would have avoided hills, the one up past the cemetery almost killed me :-)

9 Comments:

Blogger Toasty said...

We got quicker as the run got on, which might explain a few things. It could also have something to do with what you did during the week, such as 2 laps of Cootha. I'm glad you came along. Whoever came up with the name Brisbane Running Buddies couldn't have got it more right. Thanks for coming along.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Ditto what JD said!!! I do not like the humidity... I always feel like someone has jumped on my back for a piggy back! I agree... I always enloy my long run better with others :)

8:29 PM  
Blogger Wobbly man said...

Nice run there Tesso! What was the fast finish in aid of?

8:52 PM  
Blogger Tesso said...

Wob asked what the fast finish was in aid of?

We were keeping an eye on the time and it was close to 2 hours so were trying to come in under that. Missed it by 4 seconds!

9:01 PM  
Blogger Mike Power said...

Tess,
like your blog. good to hear from my 2nd best city in Australia [Melb being 1st of course :-) ]
keep up the good blogging and hope brissy is treating you well.

12:08 AM  
Blogger 2P said...

Always figured you for a bit of a tom-boy Tesso :-)

23k in 2 hours with humidity - yep not too shabby at all!

7:57 PM  
Blogger Aki said...

I can't stand running in humidity, what you did was really incredible. Running with boys is a good thing right? I'm jealous of your ability to run with them. :)

(Btw, this word verification thingy looks very rude for this comment...)

9:32 PM  
Blogger Don Juan said...

Thanks for the welcome Tess.

I like those spur of the moment changes of course, always spices up the run. Sounds like a good pace.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Tamyka Bell said...

23km in 2hr? Not a chance for this plodder! Well done (again), you're proving why you're my hero!

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home