Sunday, November 13, 2005

The Dog Ate My Homework

For some strange reason I thought I'd feel like doing a long run today and so arranged to meet up with Tara on the bike path at 5.15am. From there we were going to run the 5k to West End for the BRRC 10k and then either run back home or get a lift with Ciaran (which we ended up doing).

It was wierd, there was hardly a soul out there this morning, not even cyclists. There was one girl walking the other way all dressed up and carrying her high heels. Not long after that there was a discarded bong! And a little further down we passed a cyclist who had stopped to light a rolly. Hmmmm.

We were a bit deep in conversation I guess and forgot to take the William Jolly Bridge and so decided just to run on and cross at the Victoria Bridge. So our 5k warmup became more like 6 1/2k.

For me the race itself can only be described as a shocker. I was kinda hoping to go around the 45 minute mark, and said I'd be happy to go sub 46. Watching my km splits I knew it wasn't gonna happen right from the start. Went through 5k in 23:08 and crossed the line in 46:37. That's more than 3 minutes slower than my PB which I did in June.

I never really intended to 'race' this one, but still I'm not sure if I could've gone much faster even if I wanted to. But wait, I have a stack of (feeble) excuses. It was pretty humid out there, most people I spoke to ran a couple of minutes slower than expected. And we'd done a rather long warm-up. And I've only done four or five speed sessions in the last two months. And I ran over Mt Coot-tha yesterday. And and and .... there's lots of work to be done.

11 Comments:

Blogger Tamyka Bell said...

This will inspire you... that's about what I ran in the River Run, back in September. Run, girl, run! ;)

We all have off days. You're still my hero!

I think I pulled a hammie at yoga and 60km on the bike yesterday didn't help, so I guess I'm resting until the relay now :(

11:33 AM  
Blogger 2P said...

Sound like pretty good reasons to me Tesso - but I think you should write some lines for penance. I'd send you to do laps of the oval but you would probably enjoy it too much.

"I will not be hard on myself for not running super fast in high humidity"

100 times oughta do it ;-)

12:44 PM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

I'm impressed with a 6km warmup for a 10km race - if that was me I'd be stuffed at the start.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Cirque said...

They all sound like valid excuses to me Tesso. You can have a B+.

2:09 PM  
Blogger Clairie said...

10/10 from me Tesso! Its all about effort and guts and let me say again - you have it all.

So pleased you were able to get up and do that run this morning. Thats what makes you so much tougher than me! I even slept in for the first time in months!!!

PS. You forgot to mention the bottle of red and all the indian food we had last night as well!!

Congrats. I still think for the heat and your injury that 46mins is an excellent achievement.

See you Tuesday :)

3:45 PM  
Blogger Hannah said...

Considering you did a 6km warm up, I think you did Brilliantly! You're my hero, too!

7:18 PM  
Blogger miners said...

looks like everyone has already absolved you Tess - you've also just come back from a long break too don't foget. Sounds like a more than respectable run with the long warm-up and warm conditions!

12:52 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

I like 'the dog ate my homework'. Must remember that one.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

Considering that you have had time off with injury Tesso and considering all your excuses, I reckon you did pretty well.

1:27 PM  
Blogger D said...

Nice job!

2:28 PM  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Sounds like the last Striders run at Lane Cove. When the usual top 10 are a couple of mins slower, the 3 mins is fine :-). How about we both use that excuse!

TA

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home