Friday, November 04, 2005

In Training?

I spent Tuesday at the Gold Coast after being at the races there all day. I'd taken my running gear with me as Chris had me lined up to take the Intraining ladies group the following morning and I thought I could go straight there from the coast. But Tuesday evening he SMS'd to say I wasn't required.

So here I was Wednesday, awake at 5.30 on a beautiful morning, no need to get back to Brissie until late afternoon, all the running gear with me, not 20 meters from part of the Kurrawa course at Mermaid Beach. I am supposed to be training for this, my only 'serious' race left for the year. But I didn't have my iPod with me and really couldn't bear the thought of running without it. I think I have a problem :-(

I went to the gym that afternoon. I've discovered a couple of abductor machines so have been using them. They seem to give me the same benefit as the physio's rubber band exercises without the strain on my good leg so I'll stick with them.

That evening I was back helping Clairie with the Intraining beginners. Actually, when I think about the kind of sessions they are doing we really do need to stop calling them beginners. My Kurrawa relay partner Rent Boy (Nick) lives right near Suncorp Stadium where we train. He's just back from an injury layoff and he came over and joined in with us which was great as he ran at the front with the faster ones and encouraged them.

They did about 12 minutes of speedwork and then the monthly 'guess your 1k time'. Most ran about 20 seconds or so faster than they thought they'd predicted. Even though the point is to practice how a certain pace feels they'd pushed themselves so hard how could we not congratulate them on a job well done.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

My name is Jen and I'm an iPodaholic too ;-)

J.

1:43 PM  
Blogger miners said...

I think you iPodaholics need some therapy. I thought you would have loved the un-plugged run for a change!

2:22 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

I can't run with music. Something to do with spontaneous 70's disco moves triggered by any beat that can be a bit of a public menace.

What is the etiquette when approaching an iPod wearer - I never know whether to say g'day or not?

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home