Sunday, October 23, 2005

A 3k PB !!

Hit the gym mid morning Friday. I managed to up the weight on a couple of things and also found another two wizz bang machines I can use so am now up to twelve different upper body exerices excluding abs. Did all the ho-hum physio stuff while I was there too. Anyway, I'm starting to leave there now feeling like I've actually had a good workout.

In the evening was the inaugaral Brisbane Running Group 3k Challenge. The teams met at The Ship Inn at South Bank and did a 3k warmup out to the boat shed at West End. The race returned on the same route.

I felt a bit of pain in the abductor on the way in the warmup, stupidly I had forgotten to tape my leg before leaving home. My team, the Pat Carroll Running Group, had the biggest team with 32 members so it was quite a site when they all started doing some strides at the start line while the others all just stood around and watched. Oh, I had to stand there and watch too, no fast stuff at all for me :-(

Before we knew it we were off and running. I fell in beside Hannah (who was in the Run Inn team) as she seemed to be running the sort of pace I was after. When we hit the 1k mark in 4:48 she exclaimed it was her first time ever under 5mins. So then it was on, I stuck with her and encouraged her to pick off runners one by one. We managed to get a few of them too even though we slowed a little over the next couple of kms. And the pain I'd felt in the abductor in the warmup was gone.

We crossed the line in around 15:03, a 27 second PB for Hannah. It was so exciting, it put me on a high for the rest of the evening. Guess that's just another great thing about whole this running caper, its not just your own achievements but you can get so much joy from other people's as well.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Well done Tesso on helping Hannah to her PB. I'm sure it meant a lot to Hannah to have you there. I'm looking forward to running with you one day!

There is always a way (whether through cheering or running with someone) of giving something back to this amazing community. Good on you !

11:29 AM  
Blogger Hannah said...

*hugggeee hugs*

Thank you sooo much for pacing me, Tess! It helped so much and getting under a 5 min km totally spurred me on. Now all I have to do is run that pace for three kms in a row!! :)

I couldn't stop grinning all night and I'm still thinking about it today! I feel all motivated for the next one.... 14 minutes something, here I come :)

3:41 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Good for you Tesso helping Hannah to a PB. Glad to hear your abductor didn't give you too much grief too.

6:54 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

There's nothing like a 3k PB. Good pacing Tesso.

By the way, you can have the PMC - that sounds seriously hard.

8:50 PM  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

You're right! It's fun to pace someone when you have to be a bit careful and even better when they PB. Well done both of you :-).

TA

10:17 PM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

Tesso , I agree running is a special type of sport. Right up at the pointy end it may be competitive but for the other 99% of us we are really only competing against ourselves. This makes it so easy to be supportive of other people.

Oddily enough in over 35 years of runnning, I have never been paced by anyone in a race or paced for anyone else either.

11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home