Sunday, October 16, 2005

I Can Jump Puddles

I met up with Clairie at BRRC just before 5:30am and we had a bit of a laugh about the steady rain that we were about to race 25k in - what the hell were we doing here!

The plan was to get there early, sign on, then go for a decent warm up, but we kind of stayed huddled under the shelter until a few minutes before gun went. At least it gave me time to tape my abductor, and I was surprised how something so simple almost eradicated the pain. Clairie got out for her warm-up, and did a bit further than my measely 200 meters.

Our plan was to try to run around 4:45 pace. We did the first km in 4:40. From then on I managed to stay pretty close to 4:45 to 4:55 for each km. I lost Clairie after a few kms but she wasn't far behind and I though she'd catch up at some stage At the first turnaround (about 6k) I discovered Karisma was closer - she was right on my tail and she was pretty close all five times we hit this point so like last week at Bribie she kept me on my toes. At around the 21k mark I started to slow a little, and the next three kms were 5:00 to 5:02. Jonesy had long finished his race and ran with me in the last 500 meters so I cranked it up a little to finish on a 4:48.

Total time (my watch) 2:01.43. A sub 2 hour would have been nice but still a PB for an accurate 25k (prev best was 2:03.18).

Gotta be happy with that considering the lack of running, especially speed training, due to the injury. Though the abductor didn't really worry me until the last lap, then it was only a mild niggle. The soaking wet shoes were more of a pain. The steady rain the whole way was okay, but there was so much water on the road. At certain parts the puddles were several inches deep but I got sick of trying to jump over them or run around them and eventually just ran straight through them. So by about 10k the shoes were drenched!

It was a such great morning out there. I think its going to be one of those runs that stick in the memory for years to come. And funny, running the five 5k loops on other occasions has been incredibly boring and mentally tough, but today it didn't bother me one bit, I really enjoyed it.

But the best was yet to come. This race was the 25k Champs and we CoolRunning girls scooped the pool, with Glenda (CR Casper), Karisma, Clairie, Hannah and I all picking up gold medals for winning our age category. Go girls!

6 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

WOO HOO!!!
Another PB... now its your turn to fess up.... what are you on :P
I tell you what ... you will be unstoppable when your fresh and without injury! Cant wait to see that!!! Did your shoes feel heavy... mine felt like lad in the sdyeny half after the downpour.. yuck!

And more bling to add to your recent stash!!! Do you know something we dont... Gold prices going up??

Seriously well done!!!

6:15 PM  
Blogger Cirque said...

Thanks for bringing home the gold for the Brissie CRs, girls! Tesso, you're right about Brisbane people being soft when it rains. Anyone would have thought it was acid dripping from the sky this morning instead of water. At least you didn't have to dodge the umbrellas!!

6:18 PM  
Blogger Hannah said...

It was a really fun morning, wasn't it? Definitely one that'll stick in my memory too :) Go, Us!

9:50 PM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

Sorry I didn't catch up with you this morning. Honest it wasn't the rain that put me off. I had decided Saturday night not to run.

Hope you haven't forgot the CD as I have one for you. I'm sure I'll catch up with you sometime soon.

Oh and good run.

10:04 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Eyahh Tesso a PB and a Gold Medal - well done. As you said "gotta be happy with that".

9:37 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Woohoo!!

You go Qld girls.

Congratulations on your bling.

J.

4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home