Saturday, October 08, 2005

These Boots Weren't Made For Walking

Although the quad felt a fair bit better I heeded the physio's advice and didn't run yesterday or this morning. Hit the gym for some upper body weights both days though. Feeling a bit sore but I can't see any muscles yet so not sure what it is that hurts :-)

I'd planned to meet up with the Buddies for brekky after their run this morn but figured I might as well get there at the same time as them and have a bit of a walk. Did 5k, and, when nobody was looking, tried running just a few steps (there was a little pain). Can't say I enjoy this walking caper too much, especially seeing so many people I know out there running. And it takes so long to get anywhere.

Saw the phsyio later on in the morning. I had a different guy this time. After some pushing and pulling and getting me to apply pressure to find out where and when it hurt he said he suspected a slight muscle tear. I can honestly say I can't remember anything as painful as what followed - when he was massaging my glutes and hips with his elbow. Some very pleasant ultrasound came after that though. Then it was back to more painful plodding sort of between the hip and groin. And I thought Mr Thursday was cruel! After all this we went through those initials tests again and there was very little pain this time. I had a 'test run' on the treadmill and was able to run comfortably.

I anxiously waited for the verdict ... was I able to do the Bribie Beach Bash tomorrow??? The answer - yes! I did the right thing and told him there were shorter distances on offer but he said that the distance didn't matter, so long as I took it easy and didn't run fast. Woohoo!

So I've gotta leave home around 4.30 tomorrow morning to drive an hour to Bribie to run 30k on the beach, dodging fishing lines, four wheel drives and eventually the incoming tide. There's zero shade and the weather is stinking hot. And I hear its windy as hell up there too. Hmmm, did I say 'woohoo' :-(

3 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

Yeah for you!!! It is so hard to not do the thing we love so much! Look after yourself... we don't want a little tear turning into a bigger tear :(
It is amazing how the physio can always find that spot that almost sends you through the roof :)
Have a great run and I will look forward to reading all about it... sounds tough! I find 100m on the beach hard let alone 30km... yikes!( and clarie claimed your human..ha! ) That would find muscles I never knew existed!!

Run well :) and have fun!!

6:48 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Woohoo!! That is fantastic news Tesso. I'm really glad to hear that you were given the OK to run tomorrow. Take it easy and enjoy!

J

PS Those muscles will soon start appearing - trust me ;-)

PSS I love the new banner!

6:52 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Can't say the sound of that run equates to taking it easy, whichever way you look at it. But enjoy it and hope all goes well!

I agree with the walking caper - why walk when running is quicker and so more satisfying ;-))

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home