Wednesday, October 05, 2005

The Week That Was - Part 2

Sat 1/10

At The Races

I thought, when in Sydney do as the Striders do and so lined up for the 10k race at Homebush on Saturday morning. It was great to catch up with so many of the Sydney crew again, they are also so welcoming.

Three weeks since the marathon but I was still clutching onto that as an excuse for what was going to be probably my slowest 10k all year. Went in saying I'd be happy with a sub 46m run, but lined up behind the 45 minute pacer and hoped to hang on with him.

The start was pretty crowded and I lost the pacer. I thought he was in front but it was a few kms before I realised he was actually behind. Still, I wasn't running sub 4.30s so figured I hadn't gone out too fast and just tried to keep Bandana in my sights. Went through halfway in 22:39 not feeling too shabby. About the 7k mark I started to tire, and at 8k the pacer caught up. JD had stuck with him the whole way and after a few encouraging words he kept on after him. I tried to hang in there but lasted maybe 100 meters. I finished in 45:53, under that 46min goal but still a little disappointed.

It was off to Randwick later in the day for a bit of racing of another kind. I thought I'd put just one bet on so studied the form guide to find the perfect horse. First up checked what colours the jockeys were wearing and found one in the CR colours of blue and yellow. Looked up the horsie's name and it was Run Rita Run! Put on $2 each way and she ran second paying a whopping dividend of $3.10 so came out a couple of dollars in front. I quit while I was ahead :-)


Birthday Bash

The lovely Owly had organised a joint birthday dinner for herself and I at Hannibal's, a Lebenese restaurant at Surry Hills. With about 27 of us altogether we had the 'cushion room' booked out. What a night! Sitting on cushions on the floor in a dimly lit room, drinking lots of red and eating heaps of yummy food - I could've stayed there all night. The belly dancer was great, though I think Truckie showed her up just a little ;-)

It was on to Retro after that, an amazing place with a different era of music on each floor. After a couple of hours of 80's music the day finally caught up with me and it was time to go. Must be getting old :-)

2 Comments:

Blogger Superflake said...

Great to see you again Tesso. Glad to see you had a good time at your birthday. Probably see you again at Canberra. Take care.

10:14 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

From all accounts sounds like Saturday night was a blast!!! Also your 10km time was great.

10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home