Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Fitness First - at last!

It was back to Pat's this morning, my first session since running Sydney. Venue was the Botanical Gardens where we did six lots of 2 minutes fast, with a 30 second recovery in between. I don't plan to give it 100% again for at least another week so was holding back a little. The legs felt pretty good really, it wasn't until maybe the fifth rep that I could feel some slight after-effects of the marathon.

My new gym had its 'grand opening' on the weekend and I dropped in then and had a quick look. They signed me up in June, so its been a long wait. Yesterday afternoon I headed back there ready for a workout. With my membership package I get total use of the gym and classes but not a program, so really I had no idea what I was going to do when I got there.

I headed for the safety of the treadmill and ran 6kms before mustering the courage to do something else. Found the little girly weights and did several upper body exercises and then some sit-ups. Finished off with a 2k treadmill warmdown. I was contemplating paying for a few PT sessions just to get a program organised. But there were a couple of them there putting their clients through some painful looking stuff so that put me off the idea. I go through enough pain twice a week at Pat's!

5 Comments:

Blogger Tamyka Bell said...

That's one of the things I don't like about Fitness First - you have to pay for programs. I think gyms that aim for mass-membership should do the right thing and provide start-up programs for free. I'm pretty sure they count on people just not showing up, which is unfortunate.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Hannah said...

Usually FF have a trainer available in the weights area that you can ask about using the weights and stuff... you'd probably be able to sneak a quick instruction session out of them without paying anything ;)

Other than that, I reckon it probably is worth getting someone to show you how to use weights properly, at least once - if you don't use the right technique, it's quite easy to do yourself some damage.

Oh, and I think you're right about hills *L* unfortunately! *L* I'm going to try and do them regularly from now on. Pain is my friend! *L*

10:13 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Definately have one or two sessions with the PT to get a program you can do on your own... one to compliment running! I love the weights... something a little different. Great to her your getting back into things :)

12:39 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

I'm so glad someone else is feeling blobby after the marathon - thought it might just have been me. I'm in a much better frame of mind today and my ankle is getting better - still swollen but not so sore. I'm off to the gym today to do an upper body weights session and abs exercises - Gotta do something!

9:26 AM  
Blogger Tamyka Bell said...

Hills hills hills. I think I'll need some running buddies if I'm going to try out hills.

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home