Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Trialling Marathon Pace

I arrived at Pat's this morning with the decision made, I'd run the 3k TT at marathon pace, though just quietly I changed my mind at least four or five times on the ten minute drive there.

But being surrounded by the group, all anxious and fired up, the buzz got to me and I wanted to run it fast. The ever thoughtful Clairie, obviously more concerned for my well being than I am, yelled to Pat and told him to tell me to take it easy today. Still, I was tempted to go just quick enough to notch up my fourth consecutive faster time and earn the coveted bling bling. But then there were three little words "don't do it" from Glenda (CR Casper), who told me she learnt the hard way, and common sense prevailed.

So the goal became running 3k at 4:45 pace, faster than what I'll end averaging on Sunday, but the pace I'm contemplating going out in as that's what I did at both Canberra and the Gold Coast . Anyway, a few strides to warm up the legs and we were off.

I ran the first km in 4:40 and so slowed down for the second, but a little too much I'm afraid. It was 4:57. I finished off with a 4:47. Funny thing is that first km, even though it was the fastest, felt the most comfortable.

There were some great runs from the group, and five or six PBs - all to girls! Pat didn't want to record my overall time for posting on his website but I insisted he did. Just myself and Jonesy have made it to every time trial this year and I didn't want it to look like I've ruined my perfect record :-)

7 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

Good girl Tesso... nothing like good old common sense! You will be thankful on Sunday... and you can take to the start line the thought-you were holding back :)

9:10 PM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Tess I am getting so excited for you!!

I am glad you took it easy, even if it did make the TT harder for me to run without anyone to follow.

You must be onto the carbo loading by now, mmmm honey sandwiches!

So are you resting or running on Friday?

11:00 AM  
Blogger Chelle said...

good work Tess - good luck for the weekend!

11:28 AM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

Great to see you with your own blog. Will follow it with interest.

I would have thought Leonard Cohen would be perfect for round the camp fire.

Hope you have a great run on Sunday. Oh and try and stay on your feet the whole way this time;-)

7:56 PM  
Blogger miners said...

Hey, there's some sense in the girl! I couldn't have done it - would have been too tempted to do something stupid - so well done on keeping yourself fresh for Sunday.

All the best for the race Tess. I look forward to seeing the results and photos from the weekend :)

4:10 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

I'm sure you'll do well on Sunday Tesso. You've done the work, now let it happen.

9:52 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Best of luck on Sunday Tesso - have a fantastic, and enjoyable, run ! Looking forward to seeing you then,

J.

PS How does this sound for an excuse to buy Skins - I went into Rebel tonight to buy a golf ball (to roll under my foot as per physio's instructions) and you'll never guess - Rebel actually sells Skins! Well if they are selling them, I might as well buy them ;-)

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home