Sunday, September 18, 2005

Sunday Shuffle

Class reunion (gulp - 30 years!) last night so it was another late one. I got told a couple of times that I look like a runner, so I'm taking that as a compliment :-) Only one of my ex class mates, who just happens to be ultra running CR Hermie's neighbour, has done a marathon. The rest of them reckon they couldn't run around the block, guess they just haven't tried. Anyway, after a bit of pooling my car ended up having a sleepover at Fairfield.

It worked out well as it meant I could run to get the car via South Bank and that way I'd be able to cheer for Clairie running what I knew was going to be a great PB in the 10k River Run. I loaded the iPod last night when I got home, but being late I couldn't bother putting a lot of effort into it. Knowing I'd be in the mood for some fun stuff I grabbed two or three numbers from a few different artists (including The Mountain Goats, White Stripes, Jens Lekman, Smog).

Left home just after 7am, both the iPod and I were in shuffle mode :-) Arrived at South Bank as the 5k-ers were coming in. Chelle and Finbar ran that and I got to see them finish, both are recovering from injuries so were taking it relatively easy. The three of us then joined Puntermatt and MJ and found a great vantage point to watch the 10k-ers, about 100m from the finish. Saw the frontrunners come in, including Regatta/Intraining Chris in 5th place. Langy (Rith) was on fire as he flew past us for a PB. The clock was 44 something when Clairie came hurtling towards us. A PB for sure but would she get that sub 45 she really really wanted so badly. I raced back up to the line to check. Woohoo - 44:50!

I had a morning tea to go to (more class reunion stuff) so had to get moving. Went via the old Boggo Rd jail and the Dutton Park cemetary to Fairfield. It was a little scary, here I was in well know magpie territory. And all alone! Only spotted one, and he was just hanging out on the ground. Still, I reckon he was eyeing off my CR cap.

I wasn't sure how far the run was, think maybe about 8 1/2k or so. Not as far as I thought it would be and I finished feeling like I could have continued for another half hour or more, except for the magpie factor ;-)

I really wished I could've hung around and helped Clairie celebrate her fantastic run, this one has been on the cards all year but her ITB injury got in the way. Oh well, you only have one 30 year reunion, Clairie's gonna have a stack more PBs!

4 Comments:

Blogger Tamyka Bell said...

Thanks for being at the finish Tesso, it was great to see you :)

7:19 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

You are making me nervous about going out Tesso. I don't like being attacked by Magpies. They're nasty.
Hey! Clairies run was great wasn't it!

7:29 PM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

I remember the ten year Uni Graduation Reunion I went to just after I ran my Marathon PB. I was basically skin and bones and the the rumour amongst my class was that I had cancer! Had to convince them that it was only from all the running.

9:30 PM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

Tesso. Music tempo doesn't seem to have much effect on my pacing. Except when I start trying to sing and run! I tend to slow down then.
I guess I dissociate myself with the music rather than associate.

Lucky Legs put me on to the Kismet soundtrack earlier this year. I have realy enjoyed it.

10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home