Friday, September 09, 2005

Accentuate The Positive

Today was the last speed session before the big M. Well, for me it was not quite speed.

On the warm up I had a bit of a chat to Michael and Campbell, the only other two from Pat's who are running Sydney. The three of us have roughly similar goals, which bothers me a little as they are both way faster than me over the shorter stuff. Its Campbell's first marathon, gotta be excited for him. Michael was just six minutes behind me at the Gold Coast, but has improved so much since then I reckon he'll be at least that far in front of me come Sunday.

One nice thing about there just being three of us is we got a round of applause from the group when Pat let them all know, and there were endless good luck wishes and hugs.

On the pgm was six 2 minute efforts. I was probably running at around 80%, just enough to get the legs rolling over fastish but not enough to cause any pain. Clairie, who turns out to be human after all, was finally feeling the effects of her fantastic 26k race on Sunday and her 'almost a PB' time trial two days later. She too was backing it off a little so it was fun to run together on the reps.

The usual 'no watch 1k' followed. I nominated 4:45 but was just a little fast and came home in 4:41. Close :-) It felt quite comfy. Considering I intend to go out around 4:45 to 4:50 pace on Sunday I guess that's a good sign.

Spent the morning packing and, more importantly, loading the iPod, which always gets me a bit excited about races. There was so much music I wanted to put on there, I ended up with five hours. Rather than tempting fate I'll culled it to just four, so I really hope I don't hear the same song twice. My first waiting-for-the-gun-to-go song is Darren Hanlon's cool cover of the Fleetwood Mac song "Don't Stop", though maybe I should've put it on toward the end :-) Next is "We're All In This Together" by Ben Lee. Too true.

All that's left to do now is to keep on loading up on carbs, Endura, water, and positive thoughts. And unloading all the negative ones.

7 Comments:

Blogger CJ said...

2 sleeps to go Tesso! I went for my last run this morning too - 12 x 30 sec efforts (30sec RI). Felt good. Do you run with your ipod? I wasn't sure whether to take mine or not - maybe I will. I have carbs coming out my ears, I am full of sports drink, I feel like a fat blimp, but I know on Sunday all those feelings will disappear. And judging by the pace you want to do, I will only see you at the end, a long time after you finish! Good luck!

9:06 AM  
Blogger Chelle said...

So excited for you, good luck. Looking fwd to hearing about it all!

10:02 PM  
Blogger Horrie said...

Hope you have another great run Tess. I don't know about you not running a PB. You are the master of understatements. Hope you have a great run. Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow.

1:44 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Good Luck Tesso!! You sound ready to go! I love that jumping out of your skin feeling... bring it on! Hopefully I will see you at some point in the morning! I will give you a cheer after the half is over!
Have a good one!
Katie

5:07 PM  
Blogger Superflake said...

Tesso good luck with the race. Hope you do get close to the 3:15 time. Have a great race.

7:30 PM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Heard the conditions were really tough out there today Tesso with very few PB's. Hope you survived and are happy with your efforts.

Can't wait to have you back here - Saturday run is just not the same without you.

See you soon.

8:35 PM  
Blogger Hannah said...

Hope you went well yesterday! *hugs*

Speaking of music, I'm completely bored with my mp3 selection - was wondering if you and lovely Clairie might fancy doing a bit of a swap with some 'mystery' mix CDs.... make the next runs we all do a bit more exciting!

8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home