Thursday, September 22, 2005

Big Wednesday

It was a pretty active Wednesday for me. Started off with a run in the morning, planning to do 10k or so. Had a CD each from Brits Billy Bragg, Oasis and The Streets on the iPod and set it to shuffle mode - its kinda fun guessing what'll come up next. Loading and using the iPod is so easy, especially compared to the old minidisk player, that I fear its making me a little anti-social, preferring to run on my own for my mid-week runs so I get the chance to listen to some music.

Ended up running 12k and got back home just in time to head to Fitness First for a 'Basic Training' class which I hoped was like an intro to everything, perfect for someone like me. Got there and spoke to a lady before it started. She told me how she'd just been for a run and went on about running and what fartlek was, and how great the bike path was to run on, yada yada yada, as if I was a non-runner. Pretty funny considering I was wearing my 2005 Sydney Marathon t-shirt at the time :-) And I didn't have the heart to tell her that my place is actually right on the bike path.

Anyway, when the instructor arrived he explained the class was actually circuit training, where we spent about a minute at each station doing weights, sit-ups, push-ups, sprints across the room, or boxing. It was great, the constant variety made it interesting and time went fast.

Wednesday evening was the Intraining Beginners group. Co-coach Clairie was unable to make it due to work so I had to play the role of 'bad cop' ;-) One of they guys brought his young fit-looking Aussie Rules playing son along, and so I upped the anti a little to let the lad know just how hard his dad works. We started with a pyramid session, fast 100m, 200m, 300m, 200m, 100m, each with a 100m jog recovery. Followed this up with a 1k Indian run, where you run in a line and the back person has to sprint and fall in front of the first one. As soon as they get there the new back person sprints up to lead the group and so on. We still had a little spare time so did 5 minutes up and down the ramp to the train station to finish up.

Every Wednesday arvo I wish I hadn't committed to this, its such a drag going there at what is usually relaxation time for me. Funny, but by the end of the session I'm so glad I did, I'm on such a high. Its great to see the improvements they are all making, but better still is seeing them develop a love of running and an increasing obsession with it. Can't blame 'em :-)

6 Comments:

Blogger Clairie said...

Tesso you hit the nail on the head about the running group on Wed Night.

I sometimes get so stressed trying to leave work on time to get there that I think "I won't do this anymore" but afterwards I am so glowing and so are all the runners.... how on earth could I let them down.

You totally give way more than me, especially as you have been trying to fit in your marathon training etc as well so double brownie points for you.
Sounds Like I missed out on a great session.

PS. Don't go liking that Ipod tooo much....I still want to be able to chat to Tesso on our long runs!! :)

2:10 PM  
Blogger miners said...

Nooooo - you can't do that and then NOT tell us how your friend went in the Basic Training class, or how the Aussie Rules kid did during the pyramid and sprints!

3:52 PM  
Blogger Tesso said...

Ha ha Miners. I pushed it to outrun the woman in the sprints at the gym, though she could to real pushups while I had to resort to girly ones :-)

Didn't want to embarrass the lad by beating him ... well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

4:47 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Geez Tess, now I feel like a wuz after reading about your day!!!!

J.

9:38 PM  
Blogger runlady said...

LOL, funny about the fartlek lady...

You will be doing real pushups in no time.
Do you have a weight training program or are you just doing 'whatever' for now?

10:14 PM  
Blogger Tesso said...

Re Lady's question, I'm just doing 'whatever'. Gonna do more circuits and some pump classes first and then probably line up a trainer to do me up a pgm if I feel I need one.

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home