Monday, September 26, 2005

Slackish Sunday

Didn't set the alarm so had a sleep in of sorts. Headed out the door just after 7.30am with my iPod to keep me amused, shuffling through the Brittish mix I loaded a couple of days ago - The Streets funny/sad tales make me laugh every time. I'd had a couple of offers of company for a run, but after Saturday I just wanted to do my own thing and go as far and as (not) fast as I felt.

Spotted lots of others enjoying the morning on the road. As well as a host of Intraining people fellow Pat Carroller's Slash (training for Rottnest Island Mara) and Peter H (New York Mara) flew by and then I bumped into Langy (Melbourne Half). He offered to run with me for a while but I not so subtley dropped the hint that I was going way to slow for him.

Ended up doing a very comfortable 12k in just under 6 minute pace. It was off to the gym after that for a Pump class. After suffering with sore muscles last week from gym work I was very cautious and grabbed just the two lightest possible weights to stick on the bar. Maybe they were too light, I didn't feel like I was exerting much effort for most of the tracks while those around me were grimmacing. For me the only real pain came from listening to the terrible music the instructor played.

6 Comments:

Blogger Chelle said...

I use to love going to classes, Step, Pump, Bodyjam, Pilates the lot, but since I moved gyms I never have the motivation (or admittedly time) to go and all due to the soundtracks they play... amazing just how much impact the music can have on a workout isnt it!

10:03 AM  
Blogger Tamyka Bell said...

If it's Les Mills Body Pump, the instructor isn't allowed to use any music other than one of the programs... that's the bad news.

As for the pain - your first Pump class is always a killer. Try to get back and do a second class before the pain goes away from the first one - somehow it makes it hurt less the next time you go.

You should get to the end of each track feeling like you couldn't lift a single extra rep, and you should feel like you can't walk at all after another day or so.

So for the squat track you should have heaps of weight on, and the chest track, but for triceps and biceps you won't need so much, etc.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Tesso said...

Tanky, thanks for the tips.

I'll go back. I reckon can put up with the pain, not too sure about the crappy music tho :-(

1:46 PM  
Blogger Tamyka Bell said...

Do you think it would be inappropriate to take your iPod? :D

2:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You call 7:30a.m. a sleep in, Tess? Another 2 hours onto that I call a sleep in! Oh well, I was young & foolish once upon a time!!

Good to do 'your own thing' sometimes - chance to reflect if you want to.

7:30 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

That's one of the good things about running..you can just get out there and do your own thing if you want to..and sometimes you want to.

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home