Friday, September 23, 2005

Like A Good Wine

Had to be at work by 7am yesterday so that meant cutting Pat's a little short. I also meant an extra 2k warm-up as I parked in town and ran to South Bank from there for the start of the session. On the pgm was two lots of 2 1/2 minute out and back efforts, with not much recovery in between, I think it was supposed to be a minute, but then Pat's idea of a minute is much less than everybody else's. Following that was hill reps.

After a big day of exercising Wednesday I felt surprisingly good on the first one, and was able to push myself to keep up with Jan and just a few meters behind Tori. Lizzle was ahead, and as for Scary Clairie, she was running like a demon and way out of sight! I managed to keep up the same pace on the way back but for the second effort found myself struggling a bit.

After this everyone headed off to do some hill reps on the Goodwill Bridge, but time wasn't on my side so I sprinted up the steep grassy slope in the Gardens then went off to work. On days where I have to cut Pat's short I might incorporate fartlek into my run to South Bank to meet the group, at least that way I'll feel like I've put in a more worthwhile effort.

Thinking about it I'm so grateful to have the girls I mentioned and others in the group to try to keep up with, chase, or, on one of my rare good days, try to stay in front of. We really do push eachother in a friendly competitive way. For maybe a year and a half I was the oldest female at Pat's. Then Jan, who is three years older, joined in. A top triathlete, she was pretty fit when she started with us but keeps on improving and does a PB just about every time she races.

So it is possible to get better with age, well for a while anyway. There goes my excuse ;-)

6 Comments:

Blogger Clairie said...

Tesso, Tesso Tesso, The only reason we keep improving is we work damn hard trying to keep up with YOU!!!

Then you told me I had to keep Tori in my sights so for a month I tried that. It worked. Now I am working on Jan.
If you were not doing marathons and running 100+km a week I think you would be very hard to beat.

One thing you have - perseverance. I can run fast - but not for very long so I burn out too. But you go and go and go and go and go and go and go.......

You are still faster than all of us in your PB's so as soon as you are 100% back to speedwork (and wearing those skins....) I think we will all be trying to catch the back of Tesso.

Now, speaking of good wines...I can't wait till tonight. Should be a good one. See you there!

12:24 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Pat and sean must have similar watches!!! I am never convinced that was a minute!! I also make sure I count the reps... he has been known to sneak in an extra here and there haha
I love having others to chase... makes it a challenge! Although I wouldn't be completely against being chased :) We will have to work on that :)

1:00 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Maybe I should move to Qld and run with you guys - sounds like a fantastic group of people to train with.

J

1:10 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

I love Walk Like an Egyptian (saw your comment on Robert's blog)! I think the funny walk would've been interesting at that point in the marathon!

And I like to think we get better with age!!!!

4:07 PM  
Blogger Dak-Ind said...

boy i respect you all running like you do. i have recently started walking, trying to lose baby weight. i bought a fancy jogger stroller. i walk 10 blocks and have to go home because i hurt. you ladies are amazing!

6:01 PM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

"It is possible to get better with age". Don't put crazy thoughts into my head Tesso. I thought I could leave my PBs to RIP.

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home