Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Fresh Meat!

Pat's this morning was 500m reps, with a one minute standing recovery. Instead of the usual West End venue for these we headed towards New Farm. Though we do lots of speed work in this stretch is was a pleasant change of venue for this particular session.

Scotty said his aim was to do the lot under 2 mins, and that sounded like a good goal so I tried to stick with him on each one. The first four were 1:55 to 1:57 but the fifth was right on 2 mins, so the sixth I pushed hard at the end to clock 1:58. Finished it feeling stuffed but happy and looking forward to an easy warm down when I saw people lining up for another one. What?!?! I was too busy concentrating on Pat's ex-wife jokes at the start of the session and didn't hear him say we had to do seven (or nine for the fast guys), I though it was six :-(

The final 200m or so of the last one I felt like I was running backwards but still managed to do it in 2 mins flat. I was happy with that especially considering the ones we ran in that direction (every second one) finished on a slight rise. Looking back my rep times are comparable with what I've been doing all year, so maybe I'm close to totally recovered from Sydney.

The plan for the morning was to keep Jan in my sights, but she seemed to be backing off a little. As it turned out I didn't need her. Not only did I have Scotty to chase, but Darryl, who is usually behind me, was flying, and we were running the reps together. He said for the first time he tried having a gel before the class and it seemed to work wonders. I saw him heading off afterwards with a handful of them he'd bought from Pat! Allyson was right on our tails too, she's just getting faster and faster every week. Talk about keeping me honest, if it wasn't for these two I reckon I would've slacked off a little.

So Clairie if you are reading this, it looks like we have some new competiton to contend with!

6 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

I hate when you miscount!!!! Well done on your reps.... they are hard but you always finish and feel like you have had a great workout! I love having people to chase... and breathing down your neck, I would never out in the same effort :)

Are you in Sydney this weekend?

12:48 PM  
Blogger Matty said...

Good report Tess. I can't believe you didn't listen more carefully to Pat. You should be used to his little surprises now!!! I thought Ally had a great session - running strongly throughout.

1:46 PM  
Blogger Aki said...

Good luck at the 10k on Saturday, could be a good birthday present. ;)

9:08 PM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Have fun in Sydney Tesso. I totally agree that Darryl and Allyson are just flying along. It is very inspiring to know we can all continue to improve.

Don't forget about us.

Do us proud.

9:02 AM  
Blogger CJ said...

Good to hear you've recovered from the marathon. As for me, I have to get some serious training in to undo all the damage I've done on a little chocolate blowout! Besides I have a 27km mainly downhill run coming up late October. I hear its your birthday coming up and you're off to sydney - have a great time!

8:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Have a great birthday party/weekend, Tess!

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home