Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Something For Kate

After Monday's gym workout I was feeling a little less apprehensive about starting to run again. So set the alarm to get up early and headed to the monthly 3k TT at Pat's.

Not that I was planning to push it at all, just I figured if I was going to run it would be nice to go and see the crowd there again. I've missed them, and any wonder. When I arrived I got a great big welcome back hug from Clairie - gee, we hadn't seen eachother in over a week! Then Glenda (CR Casper) sneaks up and gives me the old 'pinch and a punch' - damn, beat me to it. After the session Jonesy showed me some of the stretches and exercises he's been doing after his abductor tear, including one "that's best not done naked" :-)

The highlight of the session though was the encouragement the whole group gave to Kate. She's getting married and moving to Townsville so this was her last 3k TT with us. We all wanted to help her to a PB. Her previous best was 14:23. I decided I'd run with her. Its out and back and out again and so you get to pass people all the time. Just about everybody was calling out to her as they went by, it was fantastic.

We ran the first km in 4:36 so she was on target for a good one. The second km is always tough, there's a couple of slight uphills. MJ joined us about halfway through it. Although we weren't saying a lot to Katie I hoped just having us along for the ride helped her out. Though when we got to the final km I told her to make the most of the slight downhills, and she did just that. Then about 200 meters or so from the finish I reminded her of her speed when we do our 30 second reps, she such a great little sprinter, she kills me! So she and MJ took off and bolted for home and crossed in 14:12 - woohoo!

The leg felt okay. Only just a little sore on the slower warm up run but not really much at all during the TT. Next physio appointment is Saturday so by then I should have another couple of runs under the belt, which is what he wanted before seeing me again.

10 Comments:

Blogger 2P said...

Glad your leg is on the mend Tesso. What stretches are best done naked? No! Don't answer that :-)

1:19 PM  
Blogger Lulu said...

Glad to see you're back running.. won't be long before you're back to full speed I'm sure.

1:52 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I'm glad to see you are back on the road Tesso. Good on you for helping Kate out; I have no doubt that she really appreciated it, particularly after smashing her PB.

J.

2:41 PM  
Blogger miners said...

Nice work with Kate - but even better news to hear your leg didn't pull up too badly

(yes, I think we need photos or diagrams of those stretches)

3:23 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Welcome back from your holiday - you did a lot of walking! And what are these exercises?!

7:00 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Hi Tesso. It must be good getting out there with the gang again. The encouragement given and received in Pat's group is always so good.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Damn I want Jonesy to show me those exercises now :)

Jonesy and Glenda are doing Kurrawa as a team so we are not allowed to talk to them anymore hee hee.

You have such a big heart Tesso - always helping others. Can't wait until the injury is completely healed and it's me you are pushing up the hills :)

9:17 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Hey Tesso,

To answer your question on my blog, if I do weights on consecutive days I always work different body parts so that they have time for recovery. For example, I might do an upper body session one day and lower body the next. Or alternatively a chest, shoulders, triceps session one day and a back & biceps (or legs) session the next. The only thing that may get some work on both days is my abs/core but I try to avoid it. Those muscles need time to rebuild! And don't forget to eat a bit more protein!

J.

11:40 AM  
Blogger Hannah said...

Welcome back! Hope to bump into you up at Noosa on Sunday :)

7:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Very pleased that you did so well with Kate the Great, Tess! Finishing without feeling leg pain must be such a relief. No need to tell you to be careful now because you know that already...just the same - be careful now!

8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home