Monday, October 31, 2005

Back In The Big Smoke

Arrived back in Brisbane yesterday after six days at Noosa. I had been so looking forward to doing some runs up there. Alas, it wasn't to be, though I did manage to drag myself out of bed every single morning around the usual 'running' time (6am ish) and go for a walk. They went something like this -

Tuesday - through Noosa Woods and up Noosa Pde for a while. 8k.

Wednesday - through National Park to the southern end of Alexander Bay. 10k.

Thursday - through Noosa Woods and up to third bridge on Noosa Pde. 12k.

Friday - did 1k circuit track near entrance to National Park then out to Hells Gate. 10k.

Saturday - in and around Noosa Woods then along Noosa Pde. 12k.

Sunday - to Sunshine Beach then down to Noosa Woods. 10k.

Adding it all up it was 62k for the week so pretty happy about the mileage. Also happy that the iPod battery didn't go flat until I was about 3k from the end of my last walk.

Saw a very fit looking Bob Ansett out on his run one morning. This gave me a 1-nil lead and eventual win in the annual celebrity spotting comp :-)

I did my physio stuff every day but by Saturday was starting to feel some pain at the top of the other leg. I'm pretty sure its caused by the weight and pressure I put on it doing the big rubber band exercise so I'm gonna skip it for a few days. There's definitely some improvement in the torn muscle, though its still not 100%.

My two weeks is up today and I can start running again. I thought by this stage I'd be jumping out of my skin to go but strangely I'm feeling a little apprehensive.

7 Comments:

Blogger Carolyne said...

Good to hear old girl . . . yes, I did mention the 'U' word in my blog and am planning to go over to the 'dark side'! I think that we need to talk too!

The mileage sounds good - I love walking / running / messing around the National Park and that part of the woods. Rented a flat at Coolum and walked up the coast most days. Love it. Stay healthy and sane at work!

8:53 AM  
Blogger Tamyka Bell said...

Tesso, if you're feeling apprehensive, don't do it just yet! Really! My golden rule is wait until there's no pain and then double it... but then I've never had anything worse than ITB friction or plantar fasciitis. But listen to your body :) It knows...

12:09 PM  
Blogger miners said...

that's a shame Tess - glad you at least managed to get yourself into the National Park though. Pretty impressive mileage too!

12:27 PM  
Blogger Horrie said...

No need to rush into it Tess. The running will still be there when you are injury free. Good luck with the recovery.

8:56 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Glad to hear you are back. When apprehensive I apply the 5 minute rule - run for 5 minutes at a very slow pace - if apprehension still exists stop and walk home. If not - enjoy.

Of course if there is pain I bail much more quickly :-)

9:09 AM  
Blogger silverfox said...

Tesso

If there is ever a time to have some downtime its now.You sound like you have had a cracker year and the new year beckons with new challenges. Make a pact to tackle them as well as you can, with a fresh mind and fresh legs. And it starts now by recovering properly. Imagine running with no niggles or injuries(well for a couple of weeks anyway!).

Best wishes, I have been off the feet for 4 days myself and going crazy, but know in the long run it will pay off. Same applies to you.

cheers
Nick

8:15 PM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Tesso I just want you better and running again with us so make sure the physio approves of your return.

Actually forget the Physio - make sure you feel within yourself you can return.

Honestly though, when I came back I did have some inital pain but was able to run through it. An injured runner is always apprehensive as the last thing they want is a long term injury or ANOTHER injury.

My opinion is that if the pain is dull and feels like just an ache - it is okay. When the pain is sharp and hurting, you should not run through it.

Was great to see you back at Pat's even if it was the first TT where I didnt have you to chase. xxx

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home