Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Love The Skins I'm In

On Saturday morning Nick and I met up early and did just under 10k before joining the rest of the crew at 6am. The run out took 27 mins then upped the pace and came back in 24 mins. It was overcast at first and by the time we returned to base the rain had started.

After that my plan was to just run 45 mins with the main group, who were doing a 25k river loop, then turn around for home. Even though their pace was slightly faster than what Nick and I had done I felt okay and forged on. After 50 mins I declared I was turning for home, I wanted to slow down. Clairie and Sheryl wanted to slow down as well. I knew of a way I could make the 25k loop a 20k loop so forged on with them. I knew it meant I'd be running further than planned but, heck, the company was great.

It rained almost the whole way, in fact it poured at times. There was so much water everywhere that we gave up dodging puddles early in the piece and just ran right through them. After one particularly deep one Clairie looked at my leg and let out a scream - there was a leaf doing a brilliant impersonation of a leach :-)

Did around 29k to 30k all up I guess, and only really felt twinges in my leg a few times. I had a physio appointment booked for 11am but postponed it until Monday, I thought it might be a little too painful after such a long run. Also on Saturdays Adam is just so busy, week days are quieter and one gets much more attention.

Donned my new long Skins post run for four or five hours, including for the drive up to Noosa (went for the rest of the weekend to watch the triathlon). I reckon they must have helped somewhat as I had very little muscle fatigue or soreness that evening or on Sunday. In fact I've been so happy with the long ones that I bought a pair of short ones at the expo - $20 off the usual price too :-)

9 Comments:

Blogger Run for Chocolate said...

What are skins exactly, are they like long underwear? They sound comfortable. Good job on your long run!

11:00 AM  
Blogger Tesso said...

Run For Chocolate (great name!)asked about Skins. From the website ...

Skins are body moulded compression garments manufactured from the finest Lycra and Meryl Microfibre, scientifically engineered to provide support and muscle alignment to the garment covered area of your body. Skins will definitely change the way that you train and play as well as speed your recovery. You will feel fresher after heavy bouts of exercise and delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) will be minimised.

More info is available at skins.com.au.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Skins rock :-)

I love them. Wish I could live in them. I agree - I think they do make a difference, particularly during recovery. The only problem of course is that soon it's going to be too hot for the full length version :-( Lucky I have a short pair :-)

11:18 AM  
Blogger 2P said...

I have yet to hear anybody not love Skins!

Sounds like a good run on Saturday and a leach scare is always a good test for the cardiovas system :-)

Good to hear the leg is repairing too.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Clairie said...

It did look like a leach!!!

Thanks again for running with me on Saturday and being my motivator especially the last 5km. Gosh I have nightmares about that now :(

I hereby vouch that if I get injured again I want what you have so I can avoid speedwork and still do 30km runs :)

Nah seriously, fingers crossed, no more injuries for us now okay Tesso!!??

12:06 PM  
Blogger miners said...

Great to see you complete that distance so comfortably Tess - and also good to hear even more positive feedback on the compression tights. I've been promising myself for a while now ...

2:15 PM  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

I think I'll have to get some of these skins. Maybe a chrissy present :-).
Good to hear you pulled up well after the longer than planned run.

TA

4:29 PM  
Blogger Tamyka Bell said...

I have to go the "poor-girl's skins": snug dance tights and snug long socks... :( It seemed to work after the 6hr MTB though. I get paid again in January, so I might buy some Skins then

8:26 PM  
Blogger Hannah said...

Hurrah for skins! Lovely things :)

Glad your injury is feeling better.

H xxx

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home