Monday, November 21, 2005

SMC Half

After suffering a couple of weeks of the running doldrums I figured anything under 1:45 for the Sydney Marathon Clinic Half would be okay, sub 1:42 would be good, and sub 1:40 would be great.

The first half of the race felt good, except for a mild case of Delhi Belly from Surjits Indian Restaurant the night before. But the food was so good it was worth a little suffering. Way before the first turnaround at the 5k mark I saw Silverfox was having a great day as he flew past in the other direction. After I turned I realised the 'Ray Train' was just a couple of hundred meters behind - on it were passengers JD, the Prof and Aunty Karin. As much as I love all their company I was now determined to stay in front of them!

I hit the 10k mark in 46:38 which co-incidentally is the exact time I ran at the 10k race at BRRC last Sunday. That gave me a boost, as last weekend I don't think I could've run another step. A km or so later Truckie and Horrie, who were doing the 10k, passed in the other direction and called out "hi Tess, hi JD". What?!?!?! With a quick glance over the left shoulder I realised JD had quietly snuck up on me! We ran alongside eachother long enough for him to encourage me to catch up to the girl in front who was in second place, but it was taking all I had just to keep her in my sights. He picked up the pace and urged me to keep up. I tried to hang on but was starting to die so could only watch as he started to chase her down.

From then on I tried to keep an eye on both of them. As the time wore on they got further and further in front. Oh well, at least he managed to pass her!

Checking the watch at 20k I figured I had a slight chance of going under the 1:40 mark and so gritted the teeth and gave it everything I had left. With a 'sprint' to the line I managed a finish time of 1:39.58 :-) It was almost 6 minutes slower than my PB (1:34.03) which I did in March but still I was pretty happy with the result. I feel I've turned a corner and am on the improve finally.

More good news was to come. At the finish line was a very happy Go Girl who had smashed her PB in the 10k to run 48:16 - woohoo! I had a chat to a not so happy Benny who wasn't impressed with his 10k but I reckon in two weeks time at the CC Half it will be a different story.

To top off a great morning I picked up a random draw prize of a purple portable fold up bucket. Hmmm, what the heck I'll use it for I don't know but at least it fit in my suitcase. Then again, if I hopped on the plane carrying a regular bucket maybe I would have got a whole row to myself :-)

12 Comments:

Blogger Cirque said...

That's a great time Tesso. Well done. I am SO in awe of anyone who is so confident about their running that they would eat Indian food the night before a race. And I guess it clears up the mystery of why you might need a portable fold up bucket :)

6:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great post, Tess! And you went under 1:40 as hoped! But a fold up bucket....the mind boggles! Good to know you're recovering so well..keep it up!

6:38 PM  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Glad you enjoyed your SMC run and catching up with more CRs. You are definately coming back well from the nagging injuries. The PB times will soon be back :-).

TA

8:19 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Well done Tesso on a great run given your lack of running lately, not to mention your, um, belly problems :-)

J.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Well done Tesso, sorry I missed you but I was off down bashing myself up in the bush on the Illawarra.

9:57 PM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

Delhi Belly, is that the same as eating hot Mexican pizzas the night before a long run - been there done that, know not to do it again.

Congrats on your run, it's great to receive encouragement from fellow runners - that must shave a few minutes at the end.

11:02 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

1.39.58 - wooohoo Tesso - mate that is fantastic - sweetened all the more by the fact that YOU feel good about it.

Tesso - you are both a legend and an inspiration :-) - And if I read your post right pretty bloody humble too - 3rd no less!!!

11:16 PM  
Blogger Spud said...

Nice running Tesso, sorry to have missed you, I would have ran SMC but for a traithlon out at Penrith.

Catch you next time..

6:21 AM  
Blogger Gronk said...

Sharp time Tesso. Er, a fold up bucket ? What the ...?

6:59 AM  
Blogger miners said...

Hey - great run Tess. Glad you're feeling on top of things again after a bad couple of weeks. Would like to know what you'll be doing with that bucket too btw ...

10:38 AM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Ha ha you make me laugh so much Tesso....I can just picture you walking on the plane with sore legs and holding a bucket.

How funny if you took it on all folded up and then when everyone near you sat down you un-folded it. I think they would have asked for a quick seat transfer hee hee.

Great Run on Saturday. I think you are right - you are definitely on the comeback and in good time too for Kurrawa and more importantly - for all the training you will need to do for Caboolture.

See ya at Mt Cootha at 5am :)

1:11 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Well done Tesso - that's a great time. You seem to be coming back well from your injury - do be careful though.

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home