Friday, November 18, 2005

Somethings Gotta Give

Back to physio on Wednesday arvo when, for the first time, Adam thought he'd get stuck into my hammies - I'll swear I saw a glint in his eye when he realised how tight they were and how much pain he was about to inflict. He says I need a real massage and so lined my up with the very reputable Mark Smoothy, a top notch triathlete (he's done 18 time ironman tris!). I see him next Wednesday - now that's gonna hurt :-(

Had the Intraining Beginners (aka School of Pain) at 6pm so it was a rush after physio to prepare food and pack clothes and shower stuff for work that night before getting to Milton. Also had to take running gear for Pat's the next morning as I go straight there when I finish my shift.

It was then I told myself its all too much, I couldn't really keep this up any longer. Unfortunately it also often made me late for work, or maybe that's fortunate ;-) It was after a similar routine that I got injured, and although a lot of things contributed to it, I think running tired was a major factor.

As it turned out Chris wasn't expecting Clairie or me to be there, and had lined up a 'real' coach, Barry, for the night. I wasn't gonna hang around but decided to for a while just to see how Barry ran the session. It was interesting to see how another coach (other than Pat) operates. I just did the warmup with them and the start of the reps before heading off.

Not surprisingly Clairie was feeling the exact same way about giving the class up, especially as she is revving up for her first marathon. We had both planned to hang in until Christmas but now hope Chris can find somebody to take over before then, fingers crossed from next week.

It really was fun to do, and they're a truly great bunch of people. Its been fantastic to work with them and see the massive improvements they have all made. Gonna miss 'em.

5 Comments:

Blogger 2P said...

There is an old saying "want somethig done? Then ask a busy person". But ultimately the busy person just can't stretch it that bit further and as you say Tesso "somethings gotta give".

Besides why would you want the joy of coaching when you have those wonderful massages on your hammies to look forward to :-)

11:50 AM  
Blogger miners said...

Sounds like the best decision you could make Tess - Clairie also mentioned how much these "coaching" sessions took out of you both as you seemed to be doing as much as work as the coachees.

Glad you've made a sensible choice for the direction of your *own* training Tess. We need you to start lighting up the books with more of your "slow" times (giggle, hee hee ... oh no ... hee .. it's starting again ... hee hee)

1:35 PM  
Blogger Cirque said...

Hey Tesso. I had kinda hoped that you and Clairie would still be around when I graduated to the school of pain kindy class but I guess that's not to be. I think you've made the right decision though. It's wonderful that you've given so much of your time, but there's only so much each person can do and now it's time to look after yourself and avoid any more injury.

6:36 PM  
Blogger Hannah said...

I can't believe you do a run straight after a night shift - I'd be hallucinating finish lines! I think you and Clairie did the right thing too... Time to recharge!

10:56 AM  
Blogger Superflake said...

Start dreaming of Canberra. Time for those long runs to start again. Hope to see you on the start line again.

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home