Monday, November 28, 2005

Bat Flattery

I was in two minds about which event to enter at BRRC on Sunday - a 'hurt all the way' 5k or a 'hurt less all the way' 15k. I took the soft option of the 15k.

Not sure why I was expecting to have a lot more energy. In the seven days prior I had done the SMC Half, a double lap of Mt Coot-tha, two speed sessions, and a 23k training run (just the day before). Still, I was surprised at how much of a struggle it actually was.

Nick (Rent Boy), Karen (Karisma) and I stuck together for the first 5k loop (23:18), Nick setting the pace for us and keeping us amused as only he can. He took off ahead after that. At about 6k I could no longer hang in with Karen, so just tried to keep her in my sights.

But it wasn't just me that was flat, what was worse my iPod had died during the very first song. And I had such a good mix on there, including some of CJ's recommendations :-(

At the end of the second loop (10k - 47:58) I knew it was only gonna get tougher and thought about pulling out but with thoughts of February's Caboolture 12 Hour in mind pressed on. At about 13k a guy, Chris, pulled up beside me, he'd run the 5k and was warming down. It forced me to up my pace again and we ran together to the finish as he told me interesting tales of overseas marathons.

Crossed the line in 1:13.08, about 5 minutes slower than my PB set earlier in the year.

I might have had a crap run but afterwards was great. It was the last of the Champs races and the 2006 winners Jodie (CR Chundachick) and Shane were crowned, well, sashed anyway :-)

Lizzle (who's on page 10 of the current issue of R4YL) had done an enormous PB in the 5k, running 20:16 and coming in second lady overall. And whopped all our male running buddies in the process. Woohoo!

And I got to catch up with a happy Graham (Robert Song) again, he won his category in the 5k Champs - another woohoo! We traded music, and I did quite well in the deal.

Topped the morning off with a group of us heading to our favourite post BRRC haunt, Expressohead, at West End. What a sight, about a dozen very shabby looking runners, one of them wearing a gold sash. Wonder if she's taken it off yet ...

After that I had to go straight work for several hours, but the time flew as I had some great new music to keep me company :-)

6 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

It is definately the lack of music... how annoying, especially if there were great songs trapped in there! Not such a bad run Tess... you are a hard task master :)
Good on the girls!!! Gotta love beating the boys :)

7:34 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

You are one tough lady Tesso! You just keep on going. It was good to see you out there.

8:44 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Even energiser-bunnies eventually run down Tesso - the good news is you are rechargeable :-)

And I just have to say your endurance is rubbing off - the authentication code for this comment is the longest I've ever had to type ;-)

9:13 AM  
Blogger Lulu said...

I laughed too when I saw the easy option of 15km! Sounds like you've been very busy to me.

I was just up on a quick one day trip yesterday. I'll be back in the next few weeks so will try and stay over one night so I can catch up with some Brissie CRs

11:44 AM  
Blogger Tamyka Bell said...

Tesso: (1) well done and (2) don't worry about not being able to keep up with Karisma, none of us can at the moment!

8:27 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Could definitely relate to the 'hurt all the way' 5km - did one of those today - not fun. I much prefer the 'hurt less all the way' 15km!!!

Sorry to hear the ipod died in the frist song - what a pain. Thanks for your music recommendations too - have included them on my playlist!

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home