Tuesday, November 29, 2005

I Feel Good

With longer measured reps on the pgm we were expecting to head to West End this morning but instead went to New Farm. We had a choice of 1 x 1k and 5 x 500s or 2 x 1k and 5 x 500s. The second option is really just for the faster guys, that way they aren't waiting around at the end for the rest of us.

I didn't feel good in the warm-up strides, the legs just don't seem to want to go to fast. I was expecting to run the 1k rep in somewhere around 4:05. After chasing Clairie the whole way and finally catching her at the end I came in at 3:54, which is around what I run when I'm at my fittest :-)

I couldn't quite match Clairie, or that speed, on my 500s though, they were between 2:01 and 2:06. For me these are usually around 1:55 give or take.

At first I was a little disappointed with the 500s but then thought about it. This is the first time since just before Sydney Marathon (2 1/2 months) that I've been able to do a speed session at 100%. After that I was recovering, then I got injured, then had been easing back into it.

Today I gave it everything, and know I couldn't have cut a second off my times. I am more satisified with how I ran than other days when I have gone faster. What a good feeling :-)

11 Comments:

Blogger miners said...

Now, who should be telling who to be taking a little rest occasionally? What a HUGE weekend Tess! Can't believe you've been able to back up as well as you have. You amaze me sometimes (well, always) ...

2:58 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Hey Tesso - this from Paddy Pallin:

"we value these things at the price we have paid for them; not in coin but in effort"

Kinda sums it up huh?

Cheers 2P :-)

3:27 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Wow. That is fantastic Tesso. I'm so happy that you are back to 100%!

J.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

Onya Tesso!

Nothing like a good speed session to boost the confidence. Rest is also good. Don't want to be three steps forward and two steps back now do we?

5:31 PM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Well done on your session this morning Tesso.

It was a hard one with that hill there but you did so well and to be encouraging the others to race against you is a good idea and one most of us are too scared to use!!!
Certainly worked in making you and Tori do that extra bit of grunt.

I guess I had better get used to you running ahead of me now that you are ramping up and are injury free. Will be good to have the two of us nut it out together again. I only ever improved when I had the challenge of chasing you :)

Maybe we can work together to do the TT next week as you are so much better than me at pacing...

6:13 PM  
Blogger Don Juan said...

Backing up several good quality sessions in succesion is not easy.

Looks like you've got it all in good perspective.

7:46 PM  
Blogger Tamyka Bell said...

It's hard when you look back and compare. It's great that you're smart enough to look at how far you've come. You've had a hard spell and it's never easy to pace yourself on your way back - but you've done brilliantly! Enjoy the fact that you can run :D

8:25 PM  
Blogger Tamyka Bell said...

BTW sorry to all the runners at the Ship Inn (?) that I didn't say hello to this morning... I was in a rush to get to work. It was my first long run since GH50k.

8:31 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Spot on Tesso - good to hear that you are feeling good! Considering the last few months, you should be really pleased with how things are going. Have a chocolate or two (on Dec 01!)

8:49 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

I love that content feeling when you have given 100%... all warm and fuzzy! Glad to hear you are back to feeling like your old self!

2:30 PM  
Blogger Horrie said...

Sounds like a great session Tess. It's great to see you enjoying the session. If you keep enjoying yourself, your times will come down.

8:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home