Thursday, December 01, 2005

Claire, the moment I met you, I swear ....

Well Clairie, maybe not quite the moment I met you Wednesday morn, but certainly within a couple of kms I was swearing ;-)

****

Clairie and I set off for our Wednesday morning run just before 5am. The plan was to run 'solidly' for 90 minutes, 45 mins out and 45 mins back.

We started at Fitness First at North Quay, went down to the bike path, over the Goodwill Bridge and through Kangaroo Point. Rather than take the usual route back up over the Story Bridge and to New Farm we got a little adventurous and ran the pathway in front of Dockside. From here we wound our way through a few hilly streets to Mowbray Park at East Brisbane then up Wynnum Rd. We got to Norman Park at the 45 minute mark and so turned around there and went back basically the same way, though missed a turn under the Story Bridge and that actually added a little extra.

At the turnaround point we knew then we were somewhere near Mark's (iliketoast) place and contemplated dropping in for, er, toast. But thought that maybe Katy (ihatetoast) was on brekky duty and so just kept running. We like toast!

From the minute we started running I knew it was gonna be a tough one, the pace was certainly 'solid'. Those little uphills we found slowed us down a bit but I guess we made up for it on the downhills and the flat. It wasn't until we got close to the 15k mark that I realised we were only a couple of minutes behind the time I ran in the BRRC race on Sunday.

Then with a few kms to go any thought of taking it easy was gone as there was a girl in front we 'had' to catch! It took us about a km but we got her, only because she stopped ;-) After that I think we both got a sniff of the finish and even though it was hard work just kept up the momentum.

The return leg took 42 1/2 mins, a negative split! The trusty Garmin told me we had done 17.97km. That works out to about 4:52 pace.

For a mid-week longish run it was a killer. I was stuffed! I'm also stuffed if I know how I ran faster than that pace at the GC Marathon this year, well, for the first 37k anyway.

Felt soooo good afterwards though. Well, until my 11am physio appointment.

13 Comments:

Blogger Tamyka Bell said...

That was some serious running! I took Wednesday off and today I did some recon of the Kurrawa course. My version that I ran last year was much hillier (it went over Burleigh, over Coolangatta, over Greenmount, etc.) but then it was 15km shorter too.

2:44 PM  
Blogger Lulu said...

Sounds like Ms Clairie is a hard task master, making you give up choccie and making you run fast! I don't think I'll try and run with her if I come to Brissie; she'll kill me!

4:49 PM  
Blogger Don Juan said...

Cracking pace Tess, be careful or you'll end up with a new higher race pace. It's a vicious cycle.

5:11 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

I would've seriously needed a nana nap after that mid-week run! Well done on a 'solid' run.

9:11 PM  
Blogger Tesso said...

Tee hee, I had the morning off so I did squeeze in a nana nap before my physio :-)

9:25 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Wow Tesso - that is an amazing training run!!! I'd be ecstatic to be able to hit that pace in a race :-)

9:32 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

I was running the other way back towards Buranda and beyond at this time otherwise we would have had the coffee going. I know where you went very well it was what I did time and time again leading up to my first marathon.

That was one great run you did and spurred me on today. I was doing a tempo out towards the Regatta and dropped down to a pace I was alot happier with leading into Kurrawa. It was only 13 and a half km's and think I would have struggle doing 4:52 for another 4 to get near your 18.


I also really identify with looking back at a marathon pace and thinking how did I do that? I still scratch my head at the sub 3 hour pace not being able to imagine sustaining it for more than a few km's much less 42.

10:51 PM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Damn that crazy girl in front of us. It was hilarious to watch I am sure - you and I huffing and puffing after running 15km to try and get someone who has just jumped out of their car and sprints off for 500m.

It spurred us on I guess...but this Saturday : slower, no chasing anyone. I will be testing by seeing how much we can actually speak to each other as opposed to the occasional grunt like on Wednesday hee hee.

A great run Tess and I really do thank you for pushing me out there. It was YOU who wouldn't let me turn around when I thought it was time or stop when I felt crappy towards the end.

You know what...I was really really scared that you were going to suggest we run up that very last hill to our cars. I would have tried but man I was just praying you were'nt going to suggest it. My legs were shot!!!

9:39 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Great run to the both of you!!! Hard work but satisfying! I love that tired feeling when you have worked really hard and you can then have a little nap! It is a killer if you have to go to work!! I want to put a doona under my desk for those moments

11:18 AM  
Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

Great run! What were your respective heart rates? And why would I be interested?

12:11 PM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

Sounds like a good decent hard run. If you kick-off at 5 am what time do you get out of bed and do you eat anything before you go?

8:55 PM  
Blogger silverfox said...

Tesso

I am sorry I havent posted to your blog sooner, but it was great to catch up with you at Smithfield ofr the SMC. You too had a bloody great run.

Those runs where someone is pushing you along like that are great, because you know that in a solo situation it just wouldnt happen.

Thanks also for you kind comments and good advice, they mean a lot. Hope to see you back in syd soon!

8:56 PM  
Blogger Tesso said...

Re Steve's comment -

Got up just around 4:20. Its almost light here at that time of day so you can sort of kid yourself into believing its later.

No food beforehand, I don't usually eat before training runs. Plenty afterwards tho :-)

9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home