Sunday, December 11, 2005

Kurrawa (Not Quite) 25k

The nerves certainly hit this morning in the hour or so leading up to the Kurrawa to Pt Danger 50k Relay. A few of us had stayed overnight at a lovely unit near the start line, but with a 5am kick off it still meant getting up at 3.30am after a restless night to down a little brekky.

From the time we took off I kept a close eye on the trusty Garmin. The plan was to run around 4:45 pace and within the first 500m or so could only watch as Clairie, Karisma and Liz_N took off. As tempted as I was to go with them I knew it would prove to be disastrous later on in the race so stuck with my game plan. For the first several kms all appeared to be a few hundred meters in front.

Tara and I were behind them and ran up the stairs at Miami together. We really seemed to gain some ground on Liz_N and Karisma right then. But as we came down the hill on the other side I had a bit of a wardrobe malfunction - I trying to tighten my fuel belt it fell off! So it was a bit of a scramble to collect the bottles and the iPod that had hit the ground and put it all back on. The lovely Tara was just so so so thoughtful, stopping and helping me as the girls got away from us and others passed us. I told her to keep going but she wouldn't hear of it.

A while later Tara said she was going to slow down and I suggested she wait until we reeled Liz_N in, which we managed to do though it was a loooong time later. At least it kept her going :-) We soon passed Karisma too though I was waiting for her to come back at us any second.

My relay partner Nick (Rent Boy) was fantastic. He was stopping every few kms and giving us cold water. Running through the markets at Coolangatta Tara got away from me and was maybe 50 meters or so in front and stayed there until the hill at Pt Danger. I was happy about this after she so kindly stopped mid race to help me out. But going up that horrible mean nasty hill, knowing the finish line was so close and realising I might crack 2 hours I just had to push and felt bad passing her.

I had a big mixture of music on the iPod and as I was running up that hill a great song called "Blues My Naughtie Sweetie Gives To Me" was playing. I'd taken it off a blues compilation CD Robert Song had made me. I looked up and low and behold Robert Song himself was running back in the opposite direction!

Anyway, I flew down the other side of the hill to Duranbah but the clock had ticked over 2 hours - time 2:00.15. And as suspected the Garmin called it in at 23.99kms, we always figured the course wasn't quite 25k. A slap of Nick's hand and he was off. There was a brief little congregation there as we all compared times but we soon had to head off to support our boys.

Clairie and I travelled back together and it was great to spend that post race time with her. I was just so proud of how she ran today. I won't go into detail here, you can read it about it in her blog.

We had a little interclub team thing going, and Lizzle had run and incredible 1:50.30 so we thought that it was all over rover for the rest of us. Shame, Clairie's partner Robbie was having a tough day in the office, but refused to give up. If the weather had been several degrees cooler I have no doubt he would have romped home and the trophy would have been theirs. In fact, all smart money was on them to do just that.

As the kms wore on Nick edged closer and closer to Lizzle's partner Glenno. We stopped when there was about 2k to go and timed it, Nick was only 1:24 behind him. Clairie and I raced to the finish to see them run in. Glenno crossed first (1:58.??), with Nick just seconds behind (1:48.52). So it was victory to Lizzle and Glenno in our little team challenge, and a well deserved one too. But boy, Nick and I got oh so close.

I'm really happy with my run today even though I missed that elusive sub 2 hours by a number of seconds. And I ran roughly the same time as last year, give or take five seconds. Considering I missed training through most of October due to injury, and then really have only had a handful of decent speed session since I wasn't going to be too disappointed if I was closer to 2:05.

Perhaps had it not been for the fuel belt incident I could have done it. Oh well, a goal for next year.

16 Comments:

Blogger Superflake said...

Good run Tesso after your recent time off the road.Gotta lock those fuelbelts down next time. Back on the road to Canberra again. Hope to see you there.

7:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Terrific run, Tess! The fuel belt! What can anyone say? Well, I bet you thought of a few well chosen words! Congratulations, Tess; take it easy now & enjoy Christmas!

7:51 PM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Fuel belt? It's a rambo belt when it's fully loaded and a deadly weapon at that!!

You had a good run Tesso and certainly sounds like you tacked that hill really hard. Honestly you are such an endurance runner, here you were after finishing running off after the boys giving them water and powerade. I was in awe of you and could barely walk let alone run for 200m yelling 'drop it drop it'.

It was very nice to spend time together afterwards and I am very thankful you let me come in your car (all smells aside).

Can't wait until next year. After feeling achy all afternoon I know for sure I don't want to run the 50km yet again so I'll be back for the 25km. Who know's maybe if Nick is outta town you might want to go for the girls team next year and pair up with me?

Take care and rest up well (at work tonight). Will send some photos through :)

7:58 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Fantastic run today Tesso - you did Team J proud :-)

I wouldn't be too sure the course is short, Garmins are notorious for measuring short...

If you are running this well coming off injury, I can't wait to see some of your times in the new year when you are fit.

As always - you inspire me ;-)

8:06 PM  
Blogger the_en4cer said...

Congrats on a great race! Sounds like so much fun (except the hill) and definitely going to pencil in it to do next year - although thinking of leaving the fuelbelt at home :)

10:33 PM  
Blogger Gronk said...

Great strong run to round the year off Tesso. Well done.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Well done Tesso, especially after those niggly hammie twitches. Now that I have actually run part of that course it was easy to visualise being there while reading your post.

Another good goal for next year, but why not the 50km, especially if it is really only 48km ;)

9:36 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Team J stands and applauds!!!!
Woo Hoo! Great run Tess! I say without the fuelbelt episode you would have cracked the 2hrs... next year!!

Great end to the year!

Now here we go... heading into 2006 for (excitment bubbles in tummy)... CANBERRA! Yeah! I booked my accomodation today! Now it feels a bit more real!

11:48 AM  
Blogger Tamyka Bell said...

Min and I were running along feeling very nervous that we could still see you, Tesso! When your fuel belt came off, we were still running up the stairs, and someone said you had fallen over. I was very worried but there was no blood so I knew you must have been alright.

I too thought that Karisma would chase me down before the finish but she was having a hard day. I think she ran very well.

As for the Garmin... mine undermeasured the GC half marathon course, which is certified, because when it loses one satellite (as in when you're stuck between buildings) it plots a straight line path. (This wouldn't explain an entire km, but it might explain the difference between measurements by different runners.)

Thanks for watering me at halfway :D

3:41 PM  
Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

Congratulations on a strong run. Glad the injury behaved. Sorry the fuel belt was not so cooperative.

This is the second year to read about the Kurrawa to Point Danger race. I grew up in Tweed heads and used to hang out on Rainbow Bay, Greenmount and Duranbah beaches through my teenage years. Many happy memories of that place. I even did a bit of running training up and down that dreaded hill when I made the regional cross country team. But the view from the top of Point Danger is pretty good compensation for the sweat, don't you think? I have put this down as a must-do race for the future.

4:38 PM  
Blogger Cirque said...

Wow Tesso, you Brisbane girls are really giving those mexicans something to think about. Well done, mate.

5:21 PM  
Blogger Lulu said...

Sounds like a great run Tesso despite your wardrobe malfunction Lol!

9:04 AM  
Blogger RunDave said...

Thanks for you comments and support Tesso. I've had an uneasy feeling for days now. We just can't sit back and accept that racism is bound to happen and it is just a passing phase. That just allows it to become more entrenched.

12:58 PM  
Blogger miners said...

Fantastic report tess - it really ranks up there with the Pentath as one of those runs that sound like so much fun you'd be mad not to do it one day - must find me a buddy for 2006 ...

and thanks heaps for all your encouragement and support in the lead up to Canberra - it's been wonderful having you keep me level-headed during the training

4:59 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Ah Tesso you've done it again. Another great run. You, Clairie and Luckylegs inspire me so much. I look forward to running with you soon. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Love, Eddie

8:53 PM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

Glad you like the Cpt Matchbox song. Did you know they were an Australian group popular in the early 70s. The song is from the album Wangaratta Wahine which had wonderful cover based on Leunig cartoons.

8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home