Saturday, January 07, 2006

30k River Loop

Today Total: 30k
Week Total: 88k
Month Total: 98k
Year Total: 98k

For today's long run it was a 4.30am (yes am!) start at The Regatta. Surprisingly 10 people showed up at that hour. Geoff is doing 6ft Track so basically said hello and goodbye and went off and did some bush bashing at Mt Coot-tha. The rest of us - Clairie, Karen, Tara, Min, Liz N, Phil, Ciaran and Nick ... oh, and me - did a river loop.

It had rained a fair bit overnight and so it was humid but pretty overcast, so that made for more pleasant running than we anticipated. For most it was the first long run in the build up to marathon season so took it kind of easy. We all stuck together and stopped for water every couple kms.

At Dornoch Tce Tara and Ciaran peeled off as they were only wanting to run 25k, the remainder of us continued on and ran down to the river at West End and back through South Bank to the Goodwill Bridge and home to The Regatta.

With a few kms to go Clairie and Phil started hitting the straps a bit, she said she wanted to bring it home at 5.20 pace. So I had to go with them! The last three kms were something like 5:10, 5:19 and then a sub 5. We ran an extra few meters at the end until the Garmin clicked over to 30k exactly in a time of just over 2hrs 42mins. That worked out to an average pace of 5:25s.

I was so happy with how I ran and how I felt, especially at the end. And I managed to do it on no brekky (other than a coffee) and just water, and only for a minute or two around the 20k mark did I think a gu or something would have been good.

Actually, everyone seemed to be running so well. Its only the second time Clairie has done that distance and she finished so strongly. And its the furthest Phil has ever run, yet he made it look so easy.

Yep, a good day at the office :-)

13 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Nice work coach :-)

3:48 PM  
Blogger Aki said...

Holy cow you guys are fast! Awesome run!

4:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

4:30 a.m.!! Now, that's what I call dedication! Good on you, Tess....couldn't, simply couldn't do it myself! You were rewarded though with a "good day at the office"! Many more to come during 2006, Tess!

4:34 PM  
Blogger Tesso said...

GG asked if I was doing Canberra.

Yes! It will be Canberra No 5 for me :-)

6:01 PM  
Blogger Bennyr said...

This is disturbing. You've actually got me thinking ...

"Mmm, wouldn't it be nice to get up at 4:30 in the morning and run 30K".

We are a strange lot.

Cheers,
Ben

6:46 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

That's awesome running. The whole group seems to really be hitting some great form. Great news for Canberra and your Caboolture run. Well done, great effort :)

10:27 PM  
Blogger Wobbly man said...

You are starting to worry me Tesso. 4:30am? Man it must be hot up there!

10:31 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Awesomew run Tesso!! How do you do it on no food??? Read my blog... I went a bit funny in the head- definately felt like not enough food. Great way to finish... looking good!!!

10:01 AM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Truly was a great run wasn't it Tess!!

The last 4km was 5:09, 5:19, 4:59 and 4:50 (you and Phil). My last was 4:56 as I was a bit behind you.

I will have to give the no food a try in a few weeks but for this time was very thankful for my tinned rice and gu.

I think this is one of the best runs I have done in a long time, great company, great route and great feeling all the way.

Thanks again for getting me up and out there. But remember to ask your OTHER friends when you need someone to do that 6hr training run ok? hee hee

5:20 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

Awesome weekly mileage, that is most impressive.

Wish I had joined you on the river run although I still haven't worked out how to be in two places at once.

6:55 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

And I'm sitting on the sidelines reading about everybody elses's long runs! A good run, especially coming home stronger - that's something I need to work on.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Chelle said...

Totally crazy, totally jealous that you are able to do that and back it up the next morning too :)I have a long way to go. Thats just a great run, what a finish and over 100km in a week. You just keep going from strength to strength, you're one very inspiring lady.

8:34 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Wow sounds like a great run, extra marks for getting up so early as well!

Well done on racking up 100 for the week, excellent basework for Canberra.

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home