Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Wednesday Workout

Clairie and I decided it was time to get serious about our Wednesday morning runs. On her pgm was 12k at 5:45 pace. Hmmm, doesn't sound that serious at all. We pretended she misread it and planned to run the distance at around 4:45 pace :-) I wanted to do closer to 17k with a good chunk of it at a decent clip so seized the opportunity to run with her.

We took off with the Regatta crew and for the first time (well, for me anyway) we were out in front of everybody. Just after the 1k mark Clairie realised her wedding ring wasn't on her finger. And she never takes it off! So we immediately turned and ran back, keeping up the pace but searching the entire way. When the others went past they all had very curious looks on their faces, and even more so when she held up a finger .... not that finger! We got all the way back to her car and thankfully there is was on the ground. Talk about "whew"!

So, it was back to the bikepath. We settled into a decent pace, hovering between 4:45s and 4:50s I guess, give or take. Passed Tanky and Siri along the way but didn't stop for a chat, we were on a mission. Got to the tap halfway through the Gardens and the Garmin read 7k. It was 5k back to The Regatta so Clairie turned for home. I was tempted to go with her but knew once I got to the Regatta there's no way I'd put in the extra kms I'd planned so forged on.

Keeping up the same pace I did a couple of laps around the Gardens, then headed over the Goodwill Bridge and towards West End until I'd covered 13k. I was knackered and figured that was enough! From there it was spot on 4k back so did this at a more leisurely pace. Ran into Annie and Sharon on the way - yay, I could stop for a chat.

I was totally drenched in sweat by the end, even my shoes were soaked. So I'm hoping the humidity was a contributing factor to just how hard that first 13k felt (91% at 6am). I was tempted to cut it short or slow down but kept reminding myself of Vat_Man's wise words "if you wanna run fast you've gotta run fast".

Maybe there's a wiser person out there who knows of an easier way .....

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Tess, I'm so excited about your 12 hour thingie!!! I'd love to be there to watch & urge you on, but you'll make a great fist of it even if you were on your own. I'm always thinking I'd like to do a track endurance event....maybe 6 hours to start with!

You'll be great!

6:11 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Tess - now that I'm back - I must confess there is something oddly familiar about your blog - just can't quite put my finger on it ;-)

And what's this 100km in a week thing about? WOW - top effort.

Glad to see you are happy with your performance again, that 30k loop sounds great :-)

7:25 PM  
Blogger the_en4cer said...

All this running in horrendous humidity has to be of some sort of benefit to us right? Right?? ;)

7:47 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

Fast .... 4:45 for 17 or 12K is fast ... damn fast .... that's really quick .... wow

8:40 PM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

hmmmm upping the pace a bit....next you'll be booked for speeding. lol

10:13 PM  
Blogger Stu Mac said...

When you find that wise person, can you let me know the secret...


Great session!

10:57 PM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Tess you did so well and to keep going when I was turning around was very courageous of you.

Thanks for getting me through the first 7km, now that I have my breath back to talk again :)

I know what you mean about the shoes and socks. After my shower at the regatta I thought I had accidently left my gear on the floor and it got wet by the showers - actually they were just that wet when I took them off!!!!

So I haven't asked for a while - how are the adductors going with the mileage/speed?

8:40 AM  
Blogger Tamyka Bell said...

Oh, so you can stop to chat to Annie and Sharon but not to Tanky and Siri, eh? :P

I couldn't believe the humidity, my singlet and shorts were entirely soaked through. At first I thought my Camelbak had leaked, but the plastic bag around my phone was dry...

12:04 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

Good choice, the way Clairie and yourself are motoring along at the moment, 5:45 pace would have been more like power walking :)

If im sick of the weather doing very little, I can only imagine how you feel about it.

Good run, Caboolture will be a breeze :p

12:36 PM  
Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

Sounds like a great run.

Running fast without running fast...well, as we've discussed in the past, you don't necessarily need to run lactic territory fast to be able to run fast; lots of these long, hard steady runs will do it for you. I noticed in a recent post though that the HRM band has broken :(

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home